Moody Mac Won't Boot... and is full of wind!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PPC Dual 2Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HHD, Intel Macbook 2Ghz Duo 1GB Ram, iPhone 3G
Hey,

A couple of days ago my Mac 'died'. I turned it on and left the room for a few minutes and when I came back, the cooling fans were on maximum and script had appeared, on top of my usual backdrop, saying something about a system failure. At this point, thinking something was overheating I did a force shutdown. Unfortunately I didn't get the entire message.

The next time I tried to boot it up it got stuck at the grey apple screen and the fans slowly sped up until, once again, they got to maximum and I had to force shutdown. I then did a PRAM reset which did nothing, then an NVRAM reset which worked!! Once.

Things I've tried since then:

1) PRAM and NVRAM reset
2) Cleaning out my machine
3) Replacing the Logicboard battery
4) Swapping RAM chipsets
5) Reseting PMU
6) Repairing the Disc permissions via FireWire Target disc mode
7) Apple hardware test. All systems passed (?)
8) Booting from disc, but holding C on startup doesn't work
9) Asking nicely
10) Tearing my hair out!

Nothing has worked. The HDD appears to be fine as I have used Firewire Target Disc mode to transfer some files onto my Macbook. The RAM chipsets seem to be fine as I have tried them in all sensible combinations.

I've seen a few threads on various sites about similar problems. Worryingly, the most common outcome seems to be fried processors. :(

Does anyone have any words of wisdom out there?

How do I check if one of both of my processors are fried? Where can I get replacements?

Thanks

Buzz

Reaction score
What kinda Mac is it ? You know theses Macs have heat sensors that can go bad...most of the time they just shut down or the fans run wildly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My quad G5 has a very similar issue. If I unplug the machine and wait about 20 min, it will boot up fine. If I leave the machine plugged in and wait about 2 hours it will boot up fine. This leads me to believe that my issue is power supply related. Since I rarely turn the machine off it is no big deal at this point. When I do I simply unplug it after it's powered off and wait a half hour or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.