Mixer not connecting correctly Firewire 800

Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a Phonic Helix 18 MK II Firewire mixer connected to my mac mini osx 10.6 via 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.

First off the mixer is not defective as it works perfectly on my PC Vista (Via 4 pin to 6 pin cable) and on my Mac book (Macbook does not have Snow leopard) (6 pin to 6 pin cable)

When I plug the mixer into my Mini it shows as one of my audio inputs with all 16 channels but the channels are all grayed out. When I try to record channel 1 of my mics records fine. Channel 2 sounds distorted. The other 14 do not recored at all.

According to the website the mixer is plug and play for all macs with OSX 10.3 and up.

So what do you think may be the issue? A bad cable or is it some sort of compatibility issue with Snow Leopard ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Have you tested any other devices from the same Firewire port on the Mini?

OP
H
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Have you tested any other devices from the same Firewire port on the Mini?

Yes the Firewire port and board work with other devices. Just found another interesting thing. When I go to sound preferences and test the Mics they all seem to be working as the sound indicator moves as I talk into each one.

I have tried to record on Gargage band, Reason and Aducity. In the Aducity preferences it shows all 16 channels...however if I try to change it to any other channel other then one it gives me an error which says "Please check the input."

I am so lost and Have no idea what the issue could be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
is it some sort of compatibility issue with Snow Leopard ?
That would be my guess - anyone else?

OP
H
Reaction score
OK after many days of searching and trail and error, I was able to get it to work... although not exactly how it is ment to work. I found the only program that let me pic an individual channel was Garage band. The only way to get it to work on Procaster and Skype I downloaded a program called Soundflower.

Soundflower lets you make it the output in Garageband and make it an input on any other program such as skype.

So bottom line is I have it working until the boards manufacturer gets an update for Snow Leopard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.