Mini Mac OS upgrade

Reaction score
Please be gentle just bought my first mac, I'm just about to receive a Mac Mini 1.25ghz 256mb RAM, 40GB, Power PC G4, running OS 10.4, Tiger. is it possible and worth upgrading to a later os? thnx

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Upgrade that RAM. 256Megs is too little even for Tiger. I bought that exact Mini brand new when it first was released and even with 10.3 Panther the 256Megs RAM with 3 applications running caused iTunes to skip as it was running out of RAM and swapping to the hard drive. At the time just upgrading to 512Megs made it work great and no more issues.

That 1.25Ghz G4 Mini uses one PC2700 DDR DIM. The Full Sized desktop DIM and not a SoDimm.

It can take a 1GB Dim. I can link you to a video on how to disassemble the Mini and install the RAM.

After the upgrade, it will run 10.5 Leopard pretty well, but personally I like Tiger on that first gen Mini.

Reaction score
Upgrade that RAM. 256Megs is too little even for Tiger. I bought that exact Mini brand new when it first was released and even with 10.3 Panther the 256Megs RAM with 3 applications running caused iTunes to skip as it was running out of RAM and swapping to the hard drive. At the time just upgrading to 512Megs made it work great and no more issues.

That 1.25Ghz G4 Mini uses one PC2700 DDR DIM. The Full Sized desktop DIM and not a SoDimm.

It can take a 1GB Dim. I can link you to a video on how to disassemble the Mini and install the RAM.

After the upgrade, it will run 10.5 Leopard pretty well, but personally I like Tiger on that first gen Mini.

Would you please link me to that video also?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.