Migrate to new iMac

Reaction score
Like others, I am debating how best to migrate over to my new iMac. I’m coming from a 2007 iMac, used extensively, and no doubt containing all sorts of unused detritus, orphan files, and orphans of orphans. 12 years is a long time in the life of a computer. So Time Machine back up, iCloud Backup, Carbon Copy, and manual file transfer? Some sort of combination of these? I honestly don’t know how I will proceed. Very open to thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Migration assistant. When the new iMac boots for the first time it will go through some setup, then ask if you want to migrate data. Say you do and then follow the directions to connect the two and let it move the stuff. It will leave behind most of the detritus associated with old apps, but bring over your data and files. No system files will move because of the difference in operating system, so that's good. You can also use MA to bring in TM backups or CCC backups, too, if you want to get rid of the old before the new arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If it was me, I would start using the new iMac, then as things are needed, copy the data over my home network. *** long as the old iMac is still operating and backed up, there shouldn't be any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you take Bob's approach, just remember that in the OLD iMac you had files with security permission set for that old account. If you create a new account in the new iMac, even if the name is the same, it won't be the same account, so as you copy over the data, you'll need to work with the permission on those moved files to give you new account read/write authority.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I faced this very dilemma recently when setting up my new iMac (replacing a 2012 model so not quite as old as yours).

I wanted to make sure the system would run as cleanly as possible, and therefore didn't go down the MA route. Instead I:

- moved all media (documents, photos, videos, iTunes, etc.) onto a series of external SSDs
- set the iMac up as brand new
- plugged the SSD's into one of the TB ports on the new iMac via a 4-port hub.

I've had zero problems in accessing files, and this layout makes things much faster for me and, when I eventually get round to a new iMac in another 7 years or so, much easier to set up as new again. I've set up Time Machine to back up the iMac and all the external SSD's with no issues at all.

Of course, before you embark on any route, have a full bootable clone and copy of everything thoroughly backed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.