Mid 2012 non retina MBP ext monitor connection woes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP i7 2.6 GHz 16GB Ram Catalina. iPad Air 2, iPhone 12
I have a mid 2012 A1286 MBP and have been trying to connect to a samsung 32" tv to use as external monitor. I have trawled through how to's on the web and purchased a thunderport to hdmi cable which from what i have read is a good way to go. The tv is basic with hdmi being my only connection option and worked fine with my 2019 iMac using usb c to hdmi before i sold it so i know the tv is ok. The MBP is not connecting to the tv at all. I have the correct source set, i have reset pram/vram etc. I have tried connecting the cable with a combination of methods ie: powering up tv and mbp first/second and reconnecting the cable at various stages. in my display settings the tv doesn't show up at all. I am not so worried about using extended display just mirroring my screen as I have reached the age now that the old eyes aren't so good these days. Any help would be apreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
SMC reset,

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SMC reset,

Thanks ferrarr. Gave this a try but still showing no signal on the tv. I have also tried connecting using my wife's mbp which is same spec as mine, still no joy. Maybe I have bought a duff lead?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turned out it was a duff lead. Bought a new one and everything worked just fine. The duff lead came from Amazon so have returned it for full refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Turned out it was a duff lead. Bought a new one and everything worked just fine.

Clever fix, but very frustrating and time-wasting until you figured it out with a solution in order to get there.

They should double your money back for all of your extra work you had to do, but I guess the goofy cable was not theirs and just ran out of its life span.

- Patrick
=======

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clever fix, but very frustrating and time-wasting until you figured it out with a solution in order to get there.

They should double your money back for all of your extra work you had to do, but I guess the goofy cable was not theirs and just ran out of its life span.

- Patrick
=======
Just annoyed I didn't check the most obvious thing first. A little bit of Murphy's Law involved here too. I passed on the cheapest lead at the time of buying and went for a better one instead. As far as wasting all that time I am now retired so I guess at least it gave me something to do for a while.

Ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.