MBP Mid-2012 15” i7, 2.3 - Upgrades Worthwhile?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2010, 13", 2.4 GHz, 4GB DDR3, OSX 10.11.6
I was given the above MBP from a friend, who got a new 16” M2 MBP in August.

This has 16 gb ram, 512 HDD. Battery reports as “Service Needed” with 991 cycles. CoconutBattery confirms, showing 66%, saying service needed. DriveDx shows hard drive as failing (S.M.A.R.T.) with 17 bad sectors.

(I upgraded my MBP 2010 13” to 16 gb ram and 500 SSD from HDD, so I’m relatively confident I can do the upgrades to the 2012.)

Checking OWC the needed battery isn't available for 43 days. Ifixit shows in and out of stock. Are there other ones to trust? (The NewerTech batteries that OWC sells are OOS everywhere.) I am in the U.S.

With the SSD, is OWC, (or Crucial, or WD MX) a good choice, are there any to avoid, or others to consider? I’d likely get 500gb, perhaps 1T. Should I also replace the drive cable, and if so, is that difficult? Does it need new drive bracket, too?

I’d like to keep costs reasonable, this computer doesn’t buy me that much time over my 2010 MBP, but with it running Catalina, I can at least sync iPad and iPhone, and hopefully have some time before I must get the next new computer. (if I needed it now, likely Mac Mini Pro.)

I’m thinking that the ~$150 on battery and SSD is well spent, am I wrong? The screen and keyboard are terrific. (I’d likely get new “feet” for it, too.)

With the hdd failing, I haven’t yet migrated any of my files, apps, etc. I’m not sure if I should replace battery at same time, or in two separate steps to help indicate issue, if anything goes wrong. What do you suggest?

I haven’t tried “First Aid” on the hdd, is it worth trying to be able to use the HDD as an external drive?

Thank you!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to be sure...is this the 2012 Retina display or 2012 non-Retina display model? With the specs given could be either one. But if it has an actual spinner hard drive...then certainly the non-Retina model.

16GB RAM & 15" display are nice. I would say play with it a while (couple weeks)...to see if it's got enough speed to do the things you want (and high enough macOS version for your needs).

I have a couple 2011 Apple computers I use off/on...and have found them to be increasingly too slow (mostly due to the graphics side of things).

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be sure...is this the 2012 Retina display or 2012 non-Retina display model? With the specs given could be either one. But if it has an actual spinner hard drive...then certainly the non-Retina model.

16GB RAM & 15" display are nice. I would say play with it a while (couple weeks)...to see if it's got enough speed to do the things you want (and high enough macOS version for your needs).

I have a couple 2011 Apple computers I use off/on...and have found them to be increasingly too slow (mostly due to the graphics side of things).

- Nick
Sorry, yes, it is non-retina.

I do get many beachballs, then it zooms, and back and forth. I’ve been thinking that could be because hdd is failing?

Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do get many beachballs, then it zooms, and back and forth. I’ve been thinking that could be because hdd is failing?
Very possible. Have you erased...reformatted...and installed a fresh copy of the macOS?

If not...sometimes leftover "junk" from the previous owner could be slowing things down.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very possible. Have you erased...reformatted...and installed a fresh copy of the macOS?

If not...sometimes leftover "junk" from the previous owner could be slowing things down.

- Nick
I haven’t… I’ve been afraid to! I haven’t even logged in to my Apple ID yet.

I will be brave. Thank you!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Worst case scenario the hard drive craps out...then have to replace it anyway.

Here are 2 SSD drives from Kingston & Crucial (via Amazon)...that are larger capacity & less expensive than the SSD's you were considering from OWC:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0TQPQB/?tag=macforums0e4-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786QNS9B/?tag=macforums0e4-20

- Nick
i ordered the Crucial. Thank you for the link, and for your time! I’ll report back, just to close out the loop.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Did you friend unauthorise the device and remove it from his Apple ID? I just ask because it sounds like you are using it but you say, "I haven’t even logged in to my Apple ID yet."

It is possibly worth running First Aid that might allow you to do a few things first like ensuring the previous owner is logged out of iCloud and the device has been unauthorised from the iTunes Store and removed from the previous owners ID. We've had a bit of this lately, people being gifted an old Mac where the "rules" for selling or giving away an old Mac have not been followed, see below:

The catch with the above instructions is you need the previous owner's Apple ID and Password. Something, understandably, they may not want to share.
Of course if they followed the above instructions what you would have received would have been a Mac that booted up to the Setup Guide requiring you to set your preferences and login with your, or create an Apple ID. This makes you the Admin and creates a Home folder in your name.
Without doing this you may run into Permission issues even if you change the HD.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you friend unauthorise the device and remove it from his Apple ID? I just ask because it sounds like you are using it but you say, "I haven’t even logged in to my Apple ID yet."

It is possibly worth running First Aid that might allow you to do a few things first like ensuring the previous owner is logged out of iCloud and the device has been unauthorised from the iTunes Store and removed from the previous owners ID. We've had a bit of this lately, people being gifted an old Mac where the "rules" for selling or giving away an old Mac have not been followed, see below:

The catch with the above instructions is you need the previous owner's Apple ID and Password. Something, understandably, they may not want to share.
Of course if they followed the above instructions what you would have received would have been a Mac that booted up to the Setup Guide requiring you to set your preferences and login with your, or create an Apple ID. This makes you the Admin and creates a Home folder in your name.
Without doing this you may run into Permission issues even if you change the HD.

Thank you!

He hadn’t done anything other than remove his data, files, etc. He gave me his password so I could log in, I made myself an administrator, and deleted his user/admin info. I asked him to log into his Apple ID, and unauthorize the computer. He did. There is nothing of his remaining on the computer ( I understand there may be some unseen remnants). I’m the only user, the Home folder is in my name.

If I go to anything that requires an Apple ID, it requires that it be set up. I didn‘t do this, yet, because of the failing HDD, I was concerned it would die in the middle. I didn’t know if putting it through First Aid, really doing much of anything, would be more than it could handle. (I still break out in hives thinking about the 2008 iMac, the HDD failed in 2017, without any warning. This one giving me a warning? Yikes!)

(My friend will give me his AppleID and password if I ask.)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
(My friend will give me his AppleID and password if I ask.)

No, no. That is not advised for lots of reasons, not least of which the Mac has to have one owner linked to their own personal Apple ID.

But you also said:

I asked him to log into his Apple ID, and unauthorize the computer. He did.
If he has deauthorised the Mac from his Apple ID; you only need to create an Apple ID for yourself. This is essential if you want any usefulness from that Mac.

Then this:

He gave me his password so I could log in, I made myself an administrator,
Wrong way of doing things. If he has definitely released the Mac from his ID, there is absolutely no reason to use his Password and/or to log in with his credentials.

Simply put: for you to get any usefulness from that Mac, it has to be registered with your own personal Apple ID and your own log in and all your own passwords. And strictly speaking, the Mac should have been wiped of all data and a new OS downloaded.

See here:

This is what he should have done before giving it to you. Assuming you have registered the Mac under your own Apple ID, it would save you trouble in the future if you now followed the steps in the above Apple Link.

Apologies for all the "negatives", but seriously, it's the only way to do things :) ;)

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Beyond all the good advice, please take a moment to teach your friend about password security. Especially for something like Apple ID. Does he/she realize that their payment methods and all that are attached to it? Anyone else getting that info can easily login and then purchase things to their heart content on the App Store and potentially Apple Card and beyond.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, no. That is not advised for lots of reasons, not least of which the Mac has to have one owner linked to their own personal Apple ID.

But you also said:

If he has deauthorised the Mac from his Apple ID; you only need to create an Apple ID for yourself. This is essential if you want any usefulness from that Mac.

Then this:

Wrong way of doing things. If he has definitely released the Mac from his ID, there is absolutely no reason to use his Password and/or to log in with his credentials.

Simply put: for you to get any usefulness from that Mac, it has to be registered with your own personal Apple ID and your own log in and all your own passwords. And strictly speaking, the Mac should have been wiped of all data and a new OS downloaded.

See here:

This is what he should have done before giving it to you. Assuming you have registered the Mac under your own Apple ID, it would save you trouble in the future if you now followed the steps in the above Apple Link.

Apologies for all the "negatives", but seriously, it's the only way to do things :) ;)

Ian
I know this was all done backwards, and I appreciate the concern! We will get it sorted. He’s been removed, I’ll log in through my Apple ID. Thank you!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beyond all the good advice, please take a moment to teach your friend about password security. Especially for something like Apple ID. Does he/she realize that they’re payment methods and all that are attached to it? Anyone else getting that info can easily login and then purchase things to their heart content on the App Store and potentially Apple Card and beyond.
Thank you… I appreciate the concern! My friend knows; we have a level of trust not given to anyone else, and one I would *never* abuse.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Fair enough. Each to their own. Thanks for the posts.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
I was given the above MBP from a friend, who got a new 16” M2 MBP in August.

This has 16 gb ram, 512 HDD. Battery reports as “Service Needed” with 991 cycles. CoconutBattery confirms, showing 66%, saying service needed. DriveDx shows hard drive as failing (S.M.A.R.T.) with 17 bad sectors.

(I upgraded my MBP 2010 13” to 16 gb ram and 500 SSD from HDD, so I’m relatively confident I can do the upgrades to the 2012.)

Checking OWC the needed battery isn't available for 43 days. Ifixit shows in and out of stock. Are there other ones to trust? (The NewerTech batteries that OWC sells are OOS everywhere.) I am in the U.S.

With the SSD, is OWC, (or Crucial, or WD MX) a good choice, are there any to avoid, or others to consider? I’d likely get 500gb, perhaps 1T. Should I also replace the drive cable, and if so, is that difficult? Does it need new drive bracket, too?

I’d like to keep costs reasonable, this computer doesn’t buy me that much time over my 2010 MBP, but with it running Catalina, I can at least sync iPad and iPhone, and hopefully have some time before I must get the next new computer. (if I needed it now, likely Mac Mini Pro.)

I’m thinking that the ~$150 on battery and SSD is well spent, am I wrong? The screen and keyboard are terrific. (I’d likely get new “feet” for it, too.)

With the hdd failing, I haven’t yet migrated any of my files, apps, etc. I’m not sure if I should replace battery at same time, or in two separate steps to help indicate issue, if anything goes wrong. What do you suggest?

I haven’t tried “First Aid” on the hdd, is it worth trying to be able to use the HDD as an external drive?

Thank you!!
I felt burnt on my recent failed OWC battery for the MacAir 213. It was lightly used at 190 cycles but was over warranty period. I didn't ask for a free replace just some adjustment as one cell was swollen and the battery was acting up. OWC acted like they were willing to work with me on it then I got a yada yada yada letter with all the reasons why I know a battery fails from abuse and gaming and all the stuff I do not do. So they offered me free 2nd day shipping. Their SSDs are solid and other stuff I have bought. I have an OWC battery in my MacBook Pro that seems to be good.
That said I did not like the customer service and through this forum I found
. They are not cheap but they came recommended from good users here and a 2 year warranty. So far only 37 cycles but it gives good life off the charger. I rarely deep discharge when using it.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I felt burnt on my recent failed OWC battery for the MacAir 213. It was lightly used at 190 cycles but was over warranty period. I didn't ask for a free replace just some adjustment as one cell was swollen and the battery was acting up. OWC acted like they were willing to work with me on it then I got a yada yada yada letter with all the reasons why I know a battery fails from abuse and gaming and all the stuff I do not do. So they offered me free 2nd day shipping. Their SSDs are solid and other stuff I have bought. I have an OWC battery in my MacBook Pro that seems to be good.
That said I did not like the customer service and through this forum I found
. They are not cheap but they came recommended from good users here and a 2 year warranty. So far only 37 cycles but it gives good life off the charger. I rarely deep discharge when using it.
Thank you! I kept the link. I got a battery from Amazon that was highly recommended. If that one doesn’t last long, I’ll buy this one, next.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:

I reset the computer to factory settings. Externally formatted the SSD, then removed the HDD, installed the SSD, Installed Catalina, then used Migration Assistant to move everything from my old computer to the new one. Upgraded what was needed, deleted things that wouldn’t work and… it’s great! It is so responsive and fast!

The battery even changed from “Service needed” to ”Good”! I have a new battery, I’ll install it at some point soon. I haven’t yet dealt with the HDD, will erase and see if it clears out the file errors, to use as backup or something.

It was definitely worth the time, and cost of the SSD (and battery) now.

Thank you all, so much!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You are very welcome, well done getting it all sorted. (y)

Reaction score
The battery even changed from “Service needed” to ”Good”
My 2017 MacBook Pro I got a couple weeks ago said service battery, but lasted close to 7 hours, did the update from Catalina to Ventura, which it has been running Ventura now for 8 days and it also switched from service battery to normal, and now gets close to 10 hours on battery if I want to push it. Usually only discharge it to 45-50% and then charge it, gives me the actual 5-6 hours a day of work, that I put in to my 8 to 10 hour a day job, spend the other time either playing with the dog if I am working from home or getting Starbucks and roaming around outside with my cigar if I am at the office. Figured out if you give 100% effort to a job it gets you no place, and only causes irritation especially if it is nice outside. By updating the OS, it must reset the battery message. This battery has like 786 cycles on it and is listed as normal, or on coconut battery as good, after updating to Ventura

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.