MBP email Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi,

When I use my MBP and open up the email, I get all the emails I got on my mac studio which I've already delt with as in deleted, replied etc
So I'm having to delete 200+ or sort through them.

Can this be prevented?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It depends on whether both devices are using IMAP email (not POP3) and whether both devices are using the same Apple ID and both are syncing via iCloud.

Can you verify that these criteria have been met, please.

Ian

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Yea both devices using POP3, same apple ID but not to iCloud

I do want access to that email on both devices as it my main email

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

That is the advantage of using IMAP email accounts, each account will appear the same on each device you are using and keep everything synchronized and easily accessed.

Check with your ISP and see if you can just change your existing account can you show settings on all Macs or iDevices.

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yea both devices using POP3, same apple ID but not to iCloud

thanks

You can't! Sorry to be so blunt. But the fact is, as Patrick already mentioned, IMAP protocol is required if you want to see, control and alter things in Mail across devices.

Moreover, if you are not syncing via iCloud, then you can hardly expect each device to mirror the others. (NB IMAP would again be needed for "true" syncing).

You can "access" all your mail on each device, of course, but any change on one device (deletion, reply etc) will not be reflected on the others.

Just to conclude, this is not an Apple problem. It's related to the email protocol: IMAP v POP3.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
That is the advantage of using IMAP email accounts, each account will appear the same on each device you are using and keep everything synchronized and easily accessed.

Check with your ISP and see if you can just change your existing account can you show settings on all Macs or iDevices.

- Patrick
=======
Agreed, the ONLY way to ensure email synchronisation across multiple devices, regardless of the email provider and email client used is for ALL devices to use IMAP. your email provider should be able to give you details of how to change these. However, when changing across I would advice to "archive" store your saved sent and received messages to a file, as depending on how you carry out the action you could loose everything saved in your email client.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, when changing across I would advice to "archive" store your saved sent and received messages to a file, as depending on how you carry out the action you could loose everything saved in your email client.

Very good suggestion, Jim B.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.