Mavc mail issues

Reaction score
After many years of trouble free service my Mac Mail has gone berserk. I can no longer send or receive mail. First some info

I have a 20" iMac early 2008, 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo. 4 GB memory 5 MHz DDR 2 SD Ram

O/S is 10.11.6 El Capitan, the highest available for this antique

Mail is V 9.3 operating in Yahoo.

Trying to send a message I get the following notice:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Yahoo!” or try again.

The server returned the error: Connections to the server “imap.mail.att.net” on the default ports timed out.

I can go on the internet and receive mail there through ATT but that is a nuisance.

Suggestions will be sincerely appreciated

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Yahoo has been going through a lot of changes recently. It sounds as if the settings in Mail for your e-mail account need to be updated. Most folks that I've heard from with this issue quickly resolved it by deleting their Yahoo account within Mail, and then re-adding it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yahoo has been going through a lot of changes recently. It sounds as if the settings in Mail for your e-mail account need to be updated. Most folks that I've heard from with this issue quickly resolved it by deleting their Yahoo account within Mail, and then re-adding it.
Thank you Randy. Already tried that but I did it again. Went to System preferences > Accounts > Yahoo > clicked minus sign > Yahoo > entered user ID > next > user ID again > password > sign in.

Opened mail and clicked Get Mail sign "connecting" very long time then failed with message "Unable to connect - There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings on account Yahoo or try again" Tried connection doctor and received the message "The server returned the error connections to the server imap.mail.att.net on the defauly ports timed out"

Desperate

poppi

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@poppi and Randy,

It's no consolation to you poppi, but also no surprise to Randy, that I have most of this afternoon trying to help a dear friend with her Yahoo account.

The end result is always the same: Edit SMTP Server List which we tried ad nauseam.

She can access her email and Send/Receive via Safari and Yahoo.com; but nothing via the Mail app.

Attempts to engage with Yahoo resulted in "Yahoo is in an ongoing update of its settings and user interface"

Sorry; I know it's no help, but you can try access via a browser:(

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
@poppi and Randy,

It's no consolation to you poppi, but also no surprise to Randy, that I have most of this afternoon trying to help a dear friend with her Yahoo account.

The end result is always the same: Edit SMTP Server List which we tried ad nauseam.

She can access her email and Send/Receive via Safari and Yahoo.com; but nothing via the Mail app.

Attempts to engage with Yahoo resulted in "Yahoo is in an ongoing update of its settings and user interface"

Sorry; I know it's no help, but you can try access via a browser:(

Ian
Thank you Ian. Yu are rught it is small consolation but am relieved to know it is nothing I am doing wrong. I am resorting to readingand sending my mail on Yahoo.com. I THINK it is working but it is very laborious and I am never confident that my recipients are getting my messages. You would think the geniuses at Yahoo could figure it out. I am thinking of switching to gmail. What do you think of that?

Thanks againpoppi

Reaction score
I am thinking of switching to gmail. What do you think of that?

Gmail is okay, if you don't mind that Google will be harvesting your mail for personal information that they can sell to advertisers.

Here are several better free e-mail services:

Proton Mail
Proton - Your Online Privacy, by Default
(encrypted, based in Switzerland)

Tutanota
(very secure encrypted e-mail)

GMX
(allows sending large attachments)

Yandex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.