Mail Will Not Load Images But For One Account & One User Only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hello All!

My wife has a MacBook Pro that can't go past Snow Leopard operating system, so I realize that having a resolution to this problem is a huge stretch.

That computer has 3 User Profiles (User Accounts) & she has two e-mail addresses. Both are POP-3. Until a few weeks ago, Apple Mail has worked fine on the computer. Now, one of the e-mail addresses will not load any images in the messages. Instead there is a box with a question mark inside. Clicking the question mark doesn't do anything. The other e-mail address works fine. The problem is with one e-mail address on only one of the User Profiles (User account).

The images are embedded in the message (as opposed to attachments). They can be part of an e-mail that a vendor sends, such as an eBay or department store ad.
Normally, clicking the picture in the message opens the related web page.

Oddly, that same e-mail address is on each user account and the other two work. Checking Mail - Preferences shows that the settings are 100% the same across all three.

What I've Tried:
A) Verify settings, ports, etc match the user accounts (same computer) where the e-mail loads images.
B) Verify the settings are correct by calling the ISP (Always a giant time vacuum of a project).
C) Verified that the Mail settings were the same on a different computer where the images do load.
D) Made sure "Load Remote Content" was on in Mail - Preferences - Viewing
E) Did every cleanup, maintenance & repair that Onyx offers.
F) Deleted most items in the Inbox (in case it was a space issue)
G) Emptied the Mail trash
H) Turned off any Junk Mail filtering
I) Made sure there were no Mail rules in place.
J) At the ISP, emptied the inbox & deleted all the trash.

I'm out of ideas to try. Is there any hope for this problem?

Thank You for helping. I very much appreciate it.

Enjoy Today!
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If the email addresses are with different providers, they may have changed something. If the emails are from the same provider, maybe there is a setting in the email (Mac OS X Mail?) app that has been changed accidentally?

I use multiple email addresses as well, but they are all combined in macOS Mail and used in my one user account.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Thanks for taking time to help Bob. I very much appreciate your help.

The e-mail addresses are all the same address, same provider- but on different user accounts on the same computer.
The settings all match exactly (just re-checked this morning). So that's why I'm stumped on this one.

Maybe a preference file for Mail in that User Account is messed up. I'll stay away from Mail in theLibrary because, as I understand it, changing anything in Library that has to do with Mail causes more problems.

At this point, I'm stumped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.