magsafe2 external rubber cable cover starting to split.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
My first magsafe2 became faulty after about 2 years of use, with the rubber cable cover splitting significantly exposing the internal cable, which I recall being frayed. so I used duct tape to seal it, but that didn't really help, and eventually it failed to charge. I bought a new one in Novermber2015, well it has been just over a year and it's starting to split :(
firstly is it true we can take it to our genius bars and have it replaced free? split on the brick end only, does it have to be inoperable for it to be replaced? would silicon tapes, like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6EMMQY/?tag=macforums0e4-20 , help?

I think this must be a very common problem, and really is a nonsensical design for durability. what is an effective way to fix this problem?

IMG_7131.JPG

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes like you've experienced...the outer rubberized coating on the Apple portable computer charging cable's do have a tendency to split...and most commonly in two places. Near the charging "brick" end...and near the magnetic end (charging connector end). This spiltting of the outer cable material could certainly happen at any point on the cable. But these two places are the most likely to be bent at a sharper angle repeatedly until the material finally splits.

I feel that the main reason for this is too much sharp bending of the cable. Especially at the charging brick end...where users may wind the cable too tightly around the charging brick.

Now I'm not saying that Apple couldn't have done a better job designing things. Geez...this basic design is over 10 years old (since the first MacBooks & MacBook Pro's were released back in 2006). That's PLENTY of time to do a redesign to make things more durable.

As far as the free repair. Here's an Apple document that (at one time) Apple did do some replacing of the power adapter (in the US). But it appears that this program ended back in 2014:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204551

And here is an Apple document on how to "Reduce Cable Strain":

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201600

I guess you could always try to take it to an Apple store (or call Apple)...and see what they can do (maybe they'll end up telling you to buy a new one).;) There are of course lots of You Tube videos on how to make a repair. And the sooner you do a repair...the better before it gets worse. I have seen MUCH worse!

Also. There are products vendors sell to specifically protect the two most common area's where these splits occur (exactly where your split is). Give these a look:

http://pythoncords.com
http://www.thefrayfix.com

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
thanks for information pigoo3,
I chatted online with support, they said, can replace for me free of charge except a holding fee, until they receive my magsafe, then fully refunded, it really is 'just' a 1.5cm split at brick side, I wait till about a month? gives me time to get my credit card activated,
those protectors seem only to protect that area, the next joint area will be the next liable point to split!

you're always so helpful, cheers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I chatted online with support, they said, can replace for me free of charge except a holding fee, until they receive my magsafe, then fully refunded, it really is 'just' a 1.5cm split at brick side, I wait till about a month? gives me time to get my credit card activated...

Congrats. Glad you are able to get a free replacement. Was this Apple support?

...those protectors seem only to protect that area, the next joint area will be the next liable point to split!

I believe that the product in the last link has a device that protects each end.:)

For what it's worth. I've used these Apple portable computer power supplies for years & years...and never had a splitting issue. But I have always been Very Very careful not to wind the cord too tightly or kink or bend it in anyway. This is because I've always been well aware of this issue. I'm sure if I wasn't very careful. I would have had many cord splits over the years...since these cables seem to be very prone to splitting.

Agian. Great to hear you are getting a free replacement.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
....... I chatted online with support, they said, can replace for me free of charge except a holding fee, until they receive my magsafe, then fully refunded, it really is 'just' a 1.5cm split at brick side, I wait till about a month? gives me time to get my credit card activated,
those protectors seem only to protect that area, the next joint area will be the next liable point to split!.........

Congrats Applet! Here's my experience w/ a Frayed Cable - also, just had Apple replace my battery on a 3+ y/o MBPro just out of AppleCare warranty at no charge - so far, my experiences w/ their service has been just outstanding. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.