macOS Sierra install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K,27”, 3.6 Ghz 10 Core, intel core i9
How can I install Sierra on an old (early 2015) MacBook Air? It is currently running Mojave and when I try to install Sierra, it tells me that Sierra is too old for the current OS to run it.

I have a DRM app that will only run in Sierra and I really want to be able to use it on the laptop instead of keeping another desktop unit active.

Any ideas?

Thanks

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You would have to wipe out the hard drive completely and install Sierra from scratch, I think. You can try that from these instructions:

Internet recovery is listed toward the bottom, in the last section.

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would have to wipe out the hard drive completely and install Sierra from scratch, I think. You can try that from these instructions:

Internet recovery is listed toward the bottom, in the last section.
Thank you for the link. That is certainly worth a try. I was afraid that it would be something drastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You could try running Sierra in a virtual machine, using something like Parallels, or VMWare. You can search for them, both are reasonably good. I ran Windows in Parallels for years. Not free but not terribly expensive.

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could try running Sierra in a virtual machine, using something like Parallels, or VMWare. You can search for them, both are reasonably good. I ran Windows in Parallels for years. Not free but not terribly expensive.
I will keep that in mind. Right now after erasing it, it is reinstalling El Capitan. Since that is one under Sierra, I will see if my app works with it. If it does, I will just leave as is. If not, it should let me update to Sierra from there.

Fingers crossed.

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update.

I was finally able to jump through all the hoops and I now have Sierra on the laptop. Sad to say, the DRM app won't work.

The exact same app and OS as on the iMac and it won't work. Why not?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Update.

I was finally able to jump through all the hoops and I now have Sierra on the laptop. Sad to say, the DRM app won't work.

The exact same app and OS as on the iMac and it won't work. Why not?

Any ideas?

Thanks

What app is it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We are going to close this thread. Removing DRM from Kindle books, other eBooks, is still considered illegal. You can of course use your own judgment whether or not to use the app, but we are not going to talk about here.

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.