MacMini problem

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy a MacMini to start developing on iPhone. The problem is that I have only a limited budget and can't afford to buy a monitor and a keyboard. Right now I just have a laptop, so I am wondering if there is any way to connect the MacMini to my laptop, and use it's screen and keyboard for working on MacMini... Any ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since a Laptops screen is connected to the motherboard and there is no way to interface with it, I will have to say no. A Keyboard you can get for $9 at Wal Mart but a monitor will cost more. I find 17" CRT Dells at my local thrift store for $20 all the time.

Not sure where you live but hope that helps.

If you do get a keyboard cheap just be sure it's USB and not older PS2.

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't live in the US, and unfortunately in my country monitors are quite expensive (the cheapest I could find is 150$). The high price kinda beats the idea of buying a Mini...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I was at a computer show recently and there was a guy selling a 23" CRT for 1 dollar. No one bought it. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy a MacMini to start developing on iPhone. The problem is that I have only a limited budget and can't afford to buy a monitor and a keyboard. Right now I just have a laptop, so I am wondering if there is any way to connect the MacMini to my laptop, and use it's screen and keyboard for working on MacMini... Any ideas?

You could connect the mini to the laptop by firewire - power on the laptop holding down the option key and boot off of the Mini

OP
T
Reaction score
You could connect the mini to the laptop by firewire - power on the laptop holding down the option key and boot off of the Mini

and then what happens? I automatically see the Mac OSX on my monitor? Or do I need to install something else on my laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The laptop loads the OS off of the Mini but the laptop HD shows up on desktop as well so you can get files from either HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooops - just realised i forgot a step. You will have to plug a keyboard into the Mini and hold the T key for 8 - 10 secs after powering on to start it in Target mode, then u will b able to boot off it thru laptop. With no monitor you will not see the firewire symbol while it is Target mode but that wont stop your being able to boot off it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ooops - just realised i forgot a step. You will have to plug a keyboard into the Mini and hold the T key for 8 - 10 secs after powering on to start it in Target mode, then u will b able to boot off it thru laptop. With no monitor you will not see the firewire symbol while it is Target mode but that wont stop your being able to boot off it.

Thanks. I'll try it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Early 09), PowerBook G4 12" (DVI), Macintosh LCII, Macintosh Classic
If there are any thrift shops in your area, you could check there. Get yourself an old VGA monitor and a cheap USB keyboard and mouse. It may not be the prettiest setup, but it will get the job done. Just make sure that the Mac mini still comes with the VGA adaptor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was at a computer show recently and there was a guy selling a 23" CRT for 1 dollar. No one bought it. >_>"

Original poster...This is DEFINITELY the route to go to save money! If you have been looking at LCD computer monitors & the lowest price you can find is $150...you should really consider a used CRT monitor.

They are cheap, they are plentiful, and they get the job done! When you are on a limited budget...you can't be picky! ;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

This will only work if the laptop is a Mac laptop, otherwise is useless. You will also be running of the laptop, but using the OS from the Mini, so if you needed the better hardware from the Mini, you won't have access to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.