Macbook Pro not working with home wifi

Reaction score
I'm using el capitan on a macbook pro 2015 and my home wifi seems to not work at all on it. It's fine with starbucks/college/any other wifi imaginable.

I think the router is an Arris named TG862GD2.

It was actually working fine up til recently.

C

chas_m

Can you think of anything that may have changed?

Do you live in an apartment building or other place where there are lots of Wi-Fi networks about?

OP
T
Reaction score
Only thing thats changed recently is my update to el capitan, before that i had the display replaced, but that can't be it since all other wifi networks work.
When i connect to the wifi at home, its fine for like 30 seconds and then pages stop loading and time out. No warnings of not being able to connect to wifi. I live in a town home with 3 other people. College roommates. My pc works fine with wifi, iphone, and ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Only thing thats changed recently is my update to el capitan, before that i had the display replaced, but that can't be it since all other wifi networks work.
When i connect to the wifi at home, its fine for like 30 seconds and then pages stop loading and time out. No warnings of not being able to connect to wifi. I live in a town home with 3 other people. College roommates. My pc works fine with wifi, iphone, and ipad.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) For starters and if not already done, power cycle the modem and router (if the two are separate), i.e. pull the power or turn off if a switch is present, wait about 30 seconds, then power up the modem first followed by the router - you may want to also reboot the laptop if the power cycle maneuver does not help.

You could also renew the DHCP in your network settings, i.e. System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced - this will take you to the screen shown below, select the TCP/IP tab and renew the DHCP lease (connected blue arrows) - now the 'power cycle' of the router likely would do the same. Let us know if any of these suggestions help - good luck. Dave
Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 12.11.56 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
does your router have a security setting where it blocks all devices until you authorize their connection to the network? I ask because that's the way I have mine set up and recently I was attempting to connect a new device and forgot (been some time since I had connected a new device) and it continually failed until I finally remember and authorized the connection.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'll try the router reboot once i can ask my roommate(who has the router in his room). Whats weird is that this macbook was working fine until 3 months ago which is about the time i upgraded to el capitan. Also i think this may be one of those combined modem/routers.

I've already tried renewing the DHCP lease, did nothing.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.