MacBook Pro early 2011 13-inch *Firmware password*

Reaction score
I bought a MacBook pro yesterday and the buyer didn't know anything about mac he wanted to erase data on his HDD, he read this article and did, but the mac stuck on recovery page (actually he create an OSX Base System on whole of HDD) and his couldn't fix it and sold it. I tried to fix it, but I realized it has firmware password when I hold ALT key, and any command has disable lick reset Nvram, COMMAND+R and ... it just goes to recovery page automatically.
I texted him and asked about password and iCloud, he said I never set a password on it, he doesn't know anything about firmware password! and said I checked it in my iCloud, and it is removed! He said my default password on my MacBook was abc123 and I used it for all the time. Also said for wipe my HDD I did whatever was advised in that article link I sent you.
it's weird how it possible? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Without knowing the firmware password, you now have a useless MacBook Pro for which you can do nothing. The only way that password can be removed is by Apple and before they do that they will need to see the original purchase receipt and identify the original buyer.

Sorry, we can't help you any further with this.

OP
M
Reaction score
so sad, I found someone on Ebay, they sell the reprogram firmware cheap, I checked my cheap number was same and I asked him that works for my mac, he said yes. (I saw in YouTube there is a device that you can reprogram, but it's expensive like $200 and it works for many MacBook models, but replacement cheap is around $20)
does it work? has anyone experience about this method?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I would be highly skeptical buying something from someone on eBay that claims it can reprogram firmware or any device that claims to. That way lies scammers. There is a reason Apple created the firmware password. I am willing to bet who ever you bought it off of knew of the issue and just sold it. If you can't get your money back I am not sure what you can try that won't make things worst. As chscag posted - we can't help you.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the original seller has the purchase receipt to prove ownership, do I have to pay Apple to unlock the MacBook or is it free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one here would know if the original owner has the purchase receipt. You would have to contact them. From what I have experienced with Apple they will not unlock it. Paid or not. They have no idea if it has been stollen. But you can contact them and ask - never hurts. Apple Support: 1-800-275-2273.

OP
M
Reaction score
Update: I ordered a firmware chip online and replace it and it's work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: I ordered a firmware chip online and replace it and it's work fine.
Oh wow! I am glad that worked out for you. I had no idea you could replace the firmware chip but that is awesome.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I told myself that if I could not bypass the firmware password, I would have to throw it in the trash. So, I ordered a cheap hardware chip for my logic board and soldered it with a hot air gun. I was not sure I could fix it, but I could ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like to solder but I have a young friend - steadier hands and better eyes - that has done all my delicate soldering when needed. Sounds like you did the trick and fixed it.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.