Macbook pro 17 will not power up - logic board?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2009 17" Macbook pro that has recently been cutting out either mid boot up or periodically in use.

As a way of getting it boot up i have been having to startup up in safe mode ( after a few attempts) and then restarting from the menu once up and running. Also when this didn't work i found unplugging the power connector to the battery and re-plugging in would work.

Now i am finding none of these work so i am wondering if it is done or whether there is anything else i can try?

Generally it seems that the issue is a faulty logic board and seems quite expensive to change given the age of the machine?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm not too clear on your problems as you described, but you might want to try doing a SMC and maybe a PRAM Resets on your Mac notebook computer, directions here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And what operting system. If recent try doing a Recovery Mode start and running Disk First Aid as it may only be the hard drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Need to be clear with the terminology. The term "Not Power Up" means no-life…zip…zero…nada…nothing. Sounds to me that the computer does "Power-Up" (powers on)…does fully boot…does even operate. But the issue is it "cuts out" unexpectedly. Maybe you could describe in more detail what exactly happens with the computer when it cuts out…and can it happen at anytime during use?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry if that was unclear. The computer does not power on anymore now. Previously it cut out in the boot up process but i was able to deal with this by starting in safe mode but this is not working anymore now and there is nothing at all when i press the power button. I have tried the sms and pram resets too.

When i was able to power it up it would constantly cut out after maybe a few seconds. Even booting in safe mode this would happen but i managed to get it to boot entirely after a few tries and then reboot regularly. I then put it in sleep mode when finished working on it and generally it would wake up fine. But after maybe a few days it would start doing the same thing again. Strangely it seemed when it was colder i would have this problem more often.

I am running 10.8 on it by the way so pretty old...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.