Macbook Mid 2010 Slowdown with Parallels 11 Windows 7

Reaction score
My Windows 7 opens and runs and closes like a dinosaur. I checked my CPU usage, at one point it was over 1000%. Is there anything I can do to fix it without having to install Windows 10, and create a fresh new virtual machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My Windows 7 opens and runs and closes like a dinosaur. I checked my CPU usage, at one point it was over 1000%. Is there anything I can do to fix it without having to install Windows 10, and create a fresh new virtual machine?

Has it always run that way? If not, then "something" has changed. Maybe Windows is bogged down with malware. If it has always run that way, then it may be a matter of your Mac being under-powered for the job. You should tell us what your specs are.

OP
W
Reaction score
Running OSX El Capitan 10.11.5

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.60f6

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

92.74GB free of 255.2GB

What else do you need to know?

I think it has always been slow with a tacky start up sound. Even with Parallels 10 pre-installed.

Sometimes sounds like a machine gun nowadays which is a new thing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Running OSX El Capitan 10.11.5

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.60f6

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

92.74GB free of 255.2GB

What else do you need to know?

I think it has always been slow with a tacky start up sound. Even with Parallels 10 pre-installed.

Right off, I'd say you have too little RAM. 4 GB is OK to get by with OS X on its own for light everyday tasks, but for running a VM, I'd double that to get respectable performance.

OP
W
Reaction score
The maximum memory of 4GB is being used for my MacBook, it is mid 2010, in case you did not see that in my title. It was bought from a secondhand refurbisher on eBay over 1 year ago. The Parallels was preinstalled. I guess he thought it was ok to run it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unless I misread the specs badly the MacTracker application says that machine can handle up to 16GB even though Apple's specs say that the max is 4GB. This is probably because the chips that are being used to bring it above 4 GB were not available when Apple built the machine. I suggest that you contact OWCMacSsales and check with them about the maximum memory. Here's a link to what I believe is the correct page for your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And did you use the 64bit version of Windows 7? The 32bit version is limited to about 2.8GB of memory despite what is in the machine. It is showing its age, and the machine guyn thing may be the hard drive having problems. Make sure you have a current backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The maximum memory of 4GB is being used for my MacBook, it is mid 2010, in case you did not see that in my title. It was bought from a secondhand refurbisher on eBay over 1 year ago. The Parallels was preinstalled. I guess he thought it was ok to run it?

I most certainly didn't miss it, and as Sly pointed out, your model can take a max of 16 GB. As for the seller, for all we know, he had more RAM in it and removed the "extra" before selling it. That, or he has lower standards for what's acceptable in performance. Harry makes some good points also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have found this, as I am in Australia.

That would be it if you plan to max out your RAM. It wasn't mentioned earlier, but when adding RAM to any computer, if you are adding more RAM to existing modules, be sure to use the exact module(s) that are already in there (don't mix and match modules from different vendors). It's also not unheard of to have problems when using otherwise identical modules from the same vendor that were produced in different batch runs. The best thing to do is replace the RAM entirely with matching pairs, which appears to be your plan. You can flip the old modules on eBay, Craigslist, or some other venue.

P.S.: Sorry for your loss. We went through that ourselves a few years ago so I get what a crushing experience that can be. Take care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Guys this sound bothers me a bit the more I think about it. Could this be an early sign of a failing hard drive? Os the slowdown affecting everything or just Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude. The sound only happens in Parallels. So I think it is just Windows.

I wouldn't rule it out completely though. With the low amount of RAM you have for the task, you likely are seeing a lot more hard drive activity under Parallels (caching, and lots of it!) and pushing the drive that much harder. See my signature for tips on how to check the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.