MacBook cant find my network?

Reaction score
Hello, i am new here and currently having this problem, i hope you can help me out!

I am currently having the problem, that my Macbook Pro, seems to not find my Wi-Fi networks sometimes. It is very weird. I have tried re installing my Macbook to factory settings. I had this problem in El Capitan, and now when i upgraded to macOS Sierra, i am still having the problem.

So the thing is, every time i connect to a network, it is all fine, but after around 5-15 minutes, my Macbook suddenly loses the network. It still says Wi-Fi is on, but there is no available networks. When i turn off the Wi-Fi, it cant find the other networks and the Wi-Fi wont turn on, like when i press the button "Turn On Wi-Fi" nothing happens.

I have also tried putting in the network manually, but it still does not find it. When i go into advanced settings, and i try to add one of my "prefered" networks, by clicking the plus button, and i press the "show networks" button, i can find my neighbors but not my own. So basically my own network dissapears.

It is indeed very weird, but when i shut down my computer and turn it on again, it seems to be able to find the networks, and connect to them, but after 5-15 minutes, same thing happens.

This problem has been occurring at my own house, and my school, and it is very irritating. I hope you can help me with my problem.

If you have any suggestions/questions, please let me know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
The fact that you are having problems with a couple of networks makes it likely that the problem is with your MBP rather than the networks.

Try forgetting the networks and then allowing the MBP to find them again. If it were just your network, I'd suggest rebooting modems and routers, but I can't see your school being too happy if you tried that there.

If you have a Starbucks or similar close by, try logging on there and see what happens. If those local to me are anything to go by, there will be half a dozen Mac users already there, so if you are having problems and no-one else is, it will certainly point towards a problem with your MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.