Macbook Audio to Old Samsung HD-TV, any ideas?

Reaction score
Re: Macbook Audio to Old Samsung HD-TV, any ideas?

Hey there Mac-Forums,

I have a Macbook 2008 running OS X 10.6.8 connected by way of the Mini DisplayPort to an old 2012 Samsung HD-TV via one of two of the TV's HDMI ports. All of which operates smoothly. However I cannot output the audio through the TV's speakers.

So far I have tried ....

1. Connected a 3.5 mm to-male RCA Adapter cable. The 3.5 mm plugged into the headphone jack of the Macbook. On the other end I have the two Red and White RCA plus connected to a 3.5 mm Stereo Male to 2x RCA Female "Y" adapter, plugged into the "Audio Out" 3.5 mm input jack.

Result ? Nada. Even when I opened up System Preferences > Sound > Output and made sure it was set to "Headphone".

2. Connected a 3.5 mm male to Digital Audio Male cable, from the Macbook Headphone jack to the Digital Audio input port on the TV

Once again, I went to the System Preferences > Sound > Output and chose "Digital Audio Output", which was there in the list of options that wasn't previously after I plugged the Digital Audio IN.

Result ? Nada, Nothing, Zilch.

In case you are wondering, YES, I made sure the TV's internal menu was set to TV speakers, not External Speakers, the only other Menu Option for Sound.

3. A direct 3.5 mm Male to Male 3.5 mm cable from the headphone jack to the Audio Out jack on the TV.

Result? No such luck.

As well, there is another port on the back of the TV labelled "EX-LINK" which I am certain what this is for.

Then I discovered an adapter on YT, which is a DisplayPort AND USB Male OUT w/ HDMI Female IN.

Video Title : How to Connect Old MacBook Pro to the TV with Audio
Video Link :
Which apparently WORKS but is discontinued from this vendor.

Which would also involve setting up the sound through that MIDI Audio Setup app that is part of the OS.

Was hoping someone here might have a better solution?

I DID find two similar products on eBay....

Product Description : Mini Displayport MDP USB Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter Adapter for macbook pro
Link : Mini Displayport MDP USB Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter Adpater for macbook pro | eBay

Product Description : StarTech MDP2HDMIUSBA Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter with USB Aud
Link : StarTech MDP2HDMIUSBA Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter with USB Aud | eBay

Possibly one of these might work, I suspect the StarTech would be a better option, although at a higher price point.

Has anyone else had such difficulties or could provide some input here, would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You need to connect to the "audio in" connection on the TV, in order to play the sound through the TV. The audio out on the the TV, is for external speakers.

OP
A
Reaction score
You need to connect to the "audio in" connection on the TV, in order to play the sound through the TV. The audio out on the the TV, is for external speakers.
There are only 3 such ports on the rear of the TV. "Audio Out" 'Digital Audio Out" & "Ex-Link"

I think I may have to go with some sort of an adapter such as THIS :

Which runs the audio through the HDMI.

OP
A
Reaction score
There are only 3 such ports on the rear of the TV. "Audio Out" 'Digital Audio Out" & "Ex-Link"

I think I may have to go with some sort of an adapter such as THIS :

Which runs the audio through the HDMI.
The following video is where I found the idea of using the Red and White RCA cable connected to a 3.5 mm Stereo Male to 2x RCA Female "Y" adapter, but it did not work.

I could try plugging said cable setup into the 'Ex-Link" and see if that works. Somehow, I think it is back to that MiniDisplayPort + USB to HDMI adapter though.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have a good solution for you, but I can say that the Ex-Link port probably will not send /receive any audio even though a 1/8" (3.5 mm) plug fits the socket. IIRC we had a Samsung TV with one of those ports, and it is used for some devices to control the TV via a RS 232 cable. This page isn't a great discussion but does show the cable. Samsung Exlink RS232 Control Scott Whitman Product Support

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.