macbook air only runs with charger attached, but battery tested and good!

Reaction score
Didn't see another thread with these specific symptoms of problem with my Macbook Air (2013):

• battery charged percentage shows 100%
  • green light when charger attached
  • immediately (up to 2 mins) shuts down when charger removed
  • had battery tested at Apple and they say it's OK

Any suggestions? I'm in denial that it's the logic board - hoping to hear something different here. Thanks a million!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you explain to the genius bar what was happening when you removed the charger? Testing the battery is one thing, but if they didn't run diagnostics on the machine itself you won't know if it's something more serious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Sometimes when test results don't make sense the only way to confirm 100% if a battery is defective is to swop it out. Did Apple do this?

OP
N
Reaction score
Did you explain to the genius bar what was happening when you removed the charger? Testing the battery is one thing, but if they didn't run diagnostics on the machine itself you won't know if it's something more serious.

Thanks, yes, I even demonstrated the problem at the Genius Bar. My only option now is to have them "send it out" for further diagnostics and pay a flat fee of $280 which will cover any repair. From what I understand, this is a good deal if they have to replace the logic board. I'm trying to figure out if there's an intermediate step I can take now in case it's something less expensive.

OP
N
Reaction score

Thanks, yes, I demonstrated the problem at the Genius Bar. My only option now is to have them "send it out" for further diagnostics and pay a flat fee of $280 which will cover any repair. I guess that's when they would "swap out' batteries to confirm their diagnosis. I was hoping there was something else I could check before I do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.