MacBook Air - i/o sound card ??

Reaction score
Plugged into the headphone jack from my external speakers. There was a spark. gotta feeling ground problem. Now I have no sound.

Is it possible the I/O sound card is blown or is it the sound circuitry on the main board that got zapped?

This issue has not caused any other problems and functions without issue.

thankx
ron

Attachments

• IMG_4255.jpg
    IMG_4255.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As Apple repairs are made by modular exchange your only logical option is to obtain another good I/O board and support over the existing board. I use a piece of anti static foam for this. Then unplug the suspect I/O board's cable and black plug from the logic board and plug in the cable from the new I/O board. The use the existing I/O flex cable to connect between the new I/O board and the logic board, then test. If now working fit the new I/O board, removing the fan first. If no change likely the logic board is damaged, debatable wether economical to replace.

I see an I/O board in your photo, but no anti static dissipative mat. Is that the suspect board or one you've obtained? Failure of the I/O cable can cause sound, USB or various sensor issues, but in this case unlikely as you saw a spark. The I/O board isn't an expensive part.

OP
M
Reaction score
As Apple repairs are made by modular exchange your only logical option is to obtain another good I/O board and support over the existing board. I use a piece of anti static foam for this. Then unplug the suspect I/O board's cable and black plug from the logic board and plug in the cable from the new I/O board. The use the existing I/O flex cable to connect between the new I/O board and the logic board, then test. If now working fit the new I/O board, removing the fan first. If no change likely the logic board is damaged, debatable wether economical to replace.

I see an I/O board in your photo, but no anti static dissipative mat. Is that the suspect board or one you've obtained? Failure of the I/O cable can cause sound, USB or various sensor issues, but in this case unlikely as you saw a spark. The I/O board isn't an expensive part.
thankx for info. Since the system report indicates there is no Audio device, the issue is in unfortunately on the main board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.