Mac Pro configuration for enthusiasts who wants the last Intel mac for video editing daily use and gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
So I think at $2500 for a Intel W-3245 thats the best way to go for $2000 more with the next jump being massive.

So you get 16 Cascade Lake cores

Leave the ram for later

I’m assuming leave the GPU and put in a 6900XTX? Idk what the 5700 or 6800 are based on, assuming they are obsolete now?

Is the SSD upgradeable or do I need to pay Apple at the time of purchase?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can you tell us exactly what Mac Pro model we're talking about please?

After reading the thread title & post #1...wasn't 100% sure.

Technically the "last" Intel Mac Pro is the 2019 Mac Pro (which is the most current Mac Pro model Apple is selling).

If the 2019 Mac Pro is what we're talking here...in my opinion (and many others)...buying a 2019 Mac Pro would be "super super unwise";) at this point...since:

* They are SUPER expensive!
* Much much much less expensive Apple silicon Mac's can out perform a 2019 Mac Pro in many areas.
* Apple is getting close to launching an Apple silicon Mac Pro (hopefully sometime this year)...which would will insanely out-perform a 2019 Mac Pro!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
Can you tell us exactly what Mac Pro model we're talking about please?

After reading the thread title & post #1...wasn't 100% sure.

Technically the "last" Intel Mac Pro is the 2019 Mac Pro (which is the most current Mac Pro model Apple is selling).

If the 2019 Mac Pro is what we're talking here...in my opinion (and many others)...buying a 2019 Mac Pro would be "super super unwise";) at this point...since:

* They are SUPER expensive!
* Much much much less expensive Apple silicon Mac's can out perform a 2019 Mac Pro in many areas.
* Apple is getting close to launching an Apple silicon Mac Pro (hopefully sometime this year)...which would will insanely out-perform a 2019 Mac Pro!!!

Yeah a 2019

I’m trying to avoid Apple silicon like just while it’s still viable to not, they still have some issues to work out with certain editing software and you can’t run Windows on them.

I’m going to get a current laptop but would like to grab something Intel based while I still can.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I’m trying to avoid Apple silicon like just while it’s still viable to not, they still have some issues to work out with certain editing software and you can’t run Windows on them.
Apple silicon Mac's have been out for about 2.5 years...I think all is good with them by now.:)

If you're using editing software that's Windows only...I can understand. But if it's editing software that's written for the macOS on Apple computers...there are lots of Big-Time music, video, and photography professionals out there using Apple Silicon computers.

These folks make their income with their computers. If Apple Silicon models weren't dependable...they wouldn't be using them.

Also... a 2019 Mac Pro is DEFINITELY NOT the solution! 2019 Mac Pro's are way way way way way way way too expensive (was that enough "ways");)...compared to the performance of even the lowliest Apple Silicon M1 Mac-Mini (close to $300 used on eBay).

Even when the Apple Silicon Mac Pro is FINALLY released...I'm betting the price of 2019 Mac Pro's is going to take a long time to drop (users with 2019 Mac Pro's paid way too much for them to sell them cheap right after the Apple Silicon Mac Pro is released).

I’m going to get a current laptop but would like to grab something Intel based while I still can.

Apple Intel based computers aren't going to suddenly disappear. 10 years from now they'll still be selling on eBay! Lol

As I mentioned...if you're using a Windows only editing program...then waiting for a good solution to run Windows on an Apple Silicon Mac makes sense. Should also read these articles which discuss running Windows 11 on Apple Silicon Mac's. Seems that some major developments have been made with Microsoft just a couple months ago:

If all looks good...get yourself a Mac Studio, M2 Pro Mac-Mini...or maybe wait until after WWDC 2023...in case there some new computer models released.:)

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.