Mac OS won't open unless Nvram reset in Bootcamp

Reaction score
I installed Windows through bootcamp on my MacBook Pro 16' 2019. When I try to turn on my laptop after I shutting it down in Windows mode, Mac OS won't open. Instead it opens in Windows mode again. Normally Macs always open in Mac OS unless the user specifically choses Windows. The only solution I could find is to reset Nvram but I have to reset it after every time I use Windows, and want to open Mac OS. Any suggestions ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't use Bootcamp, so I'm not 100% sure. But don't you have to hold down the OPTION key when you have macOS and Windows installed to choose which one to boot into?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are two ways you can have macOS startup on boot (other than holding down the option key on startup):

1. Set macOS as your starting OS from the Windows Control Panel, Boot Camp utility.

2. System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Macintosh HD

OP
E
Reaction score
There are two ways you can have macOS startup on boot (other than holding down the option key on startup):

1. Set macOS as your starting OS from the Windows Control Panel, Boot Camp utility.

2. System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Macintosh HD
This solved my problem. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This solved my problem. Thanks.

JFYI, that is what your resetting NVRAM was doing, setting you System Prefs Startup Disk to its default setting, your Mac's Operating System.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.