Mac Mini Fan Problem

Reaction score
YouTube - Mac Mini Fan Problem

So basically the fan on my 1.25 G4 Mini started going full blast out of the blue. Even if the computer is off the fan just keeps on going! I need to physically unplug it to stop the fan. I have already opened it up to clean out dust and inspect it but didn't find anything (super clean inside).

andrewphiliplee-albums-mac+mini-picture96-picture-1.png

The computer still works perfectly fine just like it always has. Now that I think about it, I have never actually heard the fan before this... :\

Let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks

Reaction score
Just a thought.. Have you moved the temp monitoring sensor on top of the hard drive, when you had the Mini's case open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
sounds like there are some electrical problems. Take a look at the wiring of the fan and try to notice anything odd/out of place

OP
andrewphiliplee
Reaction score
Just a thought.. Have you moved the temp monitoring sensor on top of the hard drive, when you had the Mini's case open?

No, I didn't move anything. I'm not even sure if the PowerPC Mini's have a temp sensor but I will look into it a bit more.

sounds like there are some electrical problems. Take a look at the wiring of the fan and try to notice anything odd/out of place

The fan wires looked okay to me.

Anyone know what controls the fan speed if there's no sensor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
you could always use smc fan control to manually control the fan speeds, but that is just putting a band-aid over the problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, it looks like a trip to the apple store/certified apple repair store :(

C

chas_m

Actually, Rottie has it right. You forgot to reconnect the temperature sensor when you put the case back on.

OP
andrewphiliplee
Reaction score
The PowerPC Mini has a different setup than the Intel. All that's needed to remove the top section (hard drive, optical drive, fan, speaker) is three screws then just pop out the interconnect board. There is no temp sensor wire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.