Mac Battery Charger

Reaction score
I had some silver Mac rechargeable batteries but they have died.
However, I still have the neat little Mac charger.
I've tried to use Varta rechargeable AA batteries in this Mac charger but they don't seem happy with each other.
The light on the Mac charger blinks all the time.
I would have thought that they should be compatible with each other.
Comments appreciated.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have no idea what you are asking about. What Mac rechargeable batteries? What Mac charger?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Mikeo512

See this:

S1.jpg

Look at "Battery Chemistry". Ni-MH

Explains everything!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is what he's referring to:

I am utterly dumbfounded that Apple actually sold such a thing. Not that there's anything wrong with them (I used to have a handful of rechargeable batteries and a charger), but it's just one of those things that doesn't seem distinct enough to warrant Apple diving into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
@Mikeo512

See this:

View attachment 35840

Look at "Battery Chemistry". Ni-MH

Explains everything!

Ian

Well just curious about the 'vintage' Apple AA charger - still list HERE (pic below) - seems to have come w/ NiMH rechargeable batteries - I have several of these chargers for AA & AAA NiMH batteries - inexpensive and with more newer features related to charging and checking on the batteries 'condition' - buy a new one, if needed. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.25.57 AM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry to be vague. But to give chapter and verse:

The Apple charger came in two parts: a 13A plug for UK mains and this clipped into another part that held two Apple AA size, silver, accus. The latter is marked A1360. For use with NiMH batteries TM. 2012 Apple inc. U20020EA. Input 100-240v. 0.15A, 50-60Hz. Output 2.0v 1.0A LPS

The Apple accus were silver and AA size.
A guy at the Apple store commented that they were top of the range.

The above is all a bit academic because although the silver accus have died, the neat little charger is indeed now charging the new Varta accus. After a bit of twisting of the accus the yellow light stopped blinking and finally turned green. This is good news because it means that when I travel, I will not have to pack the bulky charger that I bought from B+Q some months ago ... that bulky one enables you to charge various different sizes of accus ... but I only need the AA size for my magic mouse.

Happy ending - I hope.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Sorry to be vague. But to give chapter and verse:

The Apple charger came in two parts: a 13A plug for UK mains and this clipped into another part that held two Apple AA size, silver, accus. The latter is marked A1360. For use with NiMH batteries TM. 2012 Apple inc. U20020EA. Input 100-240v. 0.15A, 50-60Hz. Output 2.0v 1.0A LPS

The Apple accus were silver and AA size.
A guy at the Apple store commented that they were top of the range.

The above is all a bit academic because although the silver accus have died, the neat little charger is indeed now charging the new Varta accus. After a bit of twisting of the accus the yellow light stopped blinking and finally turned green. This is good news because it means that when I travel, I will not have to pack the bulky charger that I bought from B+Q some months ago ... that bulky one enables you to charge various different sizes of accus ... but I only need the AA size for my magic mouse.

Happy ending - I hope.

M
When I bought a new iMac for my wife in 2019, the keyboard and magic mouse came w/ built-in rechargeable batteries (using a lightning adapter), so no batteries to change! However, the Apple mouse is rather pricey, but there are some much less expensive brands looking on Amazon - just another consideration. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.