M2 Mini won't wake Asus monitor from sleep

Reaction score
I recently bought an M2 Mac Mini and an Asus PA278CV monitor. If I connect the two via an HDMI cable, the Mac will wake the monitor when I wake it from sleep. But when I connect the two with the USB-C cable that came with the monitor, it doesn't. Looking through various forums, I see I'm not the only Mini user with this problem. I've contacted Asus support to see if they have any idea why it's not working, but they've been spectacularly unhelpful. I'm now wondering if it might be something to do with the cable. Would it make any difference if I used a Thunderbolt 4 cable? Or am I simply clutching at straws?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I am no expert in this, but it seems to me that the HDMI cable is the one that is meant to be used.

As I understand things, that's what HDMI cables do. The cable that came with the Monitor is general purpose and possibly not suitable for your purpose.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
I am no expert in this, but it seems to me that the HDMI cable is the one that is meant to be used.

As I understand things, that's what HDMI cables do. The cable that came with the Monitor is general purpose and possibly not suitable for your purpose.

Ian
HDMI works perfectly well, but the advantage of USB-C is that it carries the video signal (up to 4k) in addition to the data stream. So, in theory, a single cable should suffice if you're using the monitor as a USB hub. And it does work – except for when it comes to waking the monitor. I suspect a Thunderbolt cable might be the answer, but at the exorbitant price Apple are asking for one I'll happily continue waking my monitor with a press of the power button.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I connect the two via an HDMI cable, the Mac will wake the monitor when I wake it from sleep.
But when I connect the two with the USB-C cable that came with the monitor, it doesn't.
VERY important to clarify which M2 Mac-Mini we're talking about.

Base model M2 Mac-Mini's ONLY officially support 2 connected displays. The high end $1299 M2 Mac-Mini officially supports 3 external displays.

In either case...it's only 1 display per video port. The statements I quoted above...make it sound as if 2 displays are being used via the same HDMI port...or 2 displays via the same USB-C/Thunderbolt port.

There are supposed to be unofficial ways of running 2 display's/video port with either the M1 or M2 Mac-Mini's...but in some of these case's...additional software needs to be installed. Even with this setup...there can be occasional issues.

If we're ONLY talking 2 external display's being used in this case...I would suggest connecting things the way Apple intended users to do it. One display/Thunderbolt port...or 1 display via the HDMI port...and the 2nd display via one of the Thunderbolt ports.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Nick, I took "the two" to mean the computer and monitor, just one monitor. Maybe the OP should clarify.

OP
G
Reaction score
Nick, I took "the two" to mean the computer and monitor, just one monitor. Maybe the OP should clarify.
Quite right. One M2 Mac Mini (base model) and one monitor. Nothing fancy. :) And thanks for the Amazon link. I'm obliged to you.

OP
G
Reaction score

Base model M2 Mac-Mini's ONLY officially support 2 connected displays. The high end $1299 M2 Mac-Mini officially supports 3 external displays.

In either case...it's only 1 display per video port. The statements I quoted above...make it sound as if 2 displays are being used via the same HDMI port...or 2 displays via the same USB-C/Thunderbolt port.

There are supposed to be unofficial ways of running 2 display's/video port with either the M1 or M2 Mac-Mini's...but in some of these case's...additional software needs to be installed. Even with this setup...there can be occasional issues.

If we're ONLY talking 2 external display's being used in this case...I would suggest connecting things the way Apple intended users to do it. One display/Thunderbolt port...or 1 display via the HDMI port...and the 2nd display via one of the Thunderbolt ports.:)

Nick
Apologies for any confusion. It's just the base model M2 Mini and one monitor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Jake. After re-reading post #1...I get the same thing. Not sure what I was thinking. Lol

Apologies gnarlybole...my blood-sugar must have been low or something! :ashamed

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Jake. After re-reading post #1...I get the same thing. Not sure what I was thinking. Lol

Apologies gnarlybole...my blood-sugar must have been low or something! :ashamed
:) No apology needed. It seems that my inability to solve this particular conundrum only goes to prove that my blood sugar is permanently depleted.

Adam98229

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my Macbook Pro 13" M1 2020. gnarlybole, did you try the suggested cable, and did it resolve the issue?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Adam. I eventually discovered that the problem I was experiencing had nothing to do with the cables – it was the monitor's settings. In the Power Saving section of System Settings, I changed the setting from the default, Deep Level, to Normal Level, and it worked. Perhaps if I'd read the manual first...

Adam98229

Reaction score
Hello gnarlybole. I just made the change from Deep to Normal. I never ever thought to look at the monitor settings, and I bought the monitor used a couple of weeks ago without a manual. ($150USD/a great deal/it's a really nice monitor). I just downloaded the manual and I'm looking forward to some excellent reading. Thanks again!

For others, here is the relevant information from the manual:

Power Saving:
* “Normal Level” allows the USB downstream ports/USB Type-C ports to charge external devices when the monitor enters power saving mode.
* “Deep Level” does not allow all ports to charge external devices and keeps USB signal from being automatically detected when the monitor enters power saving mode.

Last edited:

AppleRevenge

Reaction score
So much for the PA278CV being Mac compatible if only 1 of 3 connectors work. Will try hdmi tomorrow morning.

AppleRevenge

Reaction score

Nick
Do you mean the Mac mini M2 Pro?

AppleRevenge

Reaction score
So much for the PA278CV being Mac compatible if only 1 of 3 connectors work. Will try hdmi tomorrow morning.
Ok. I used the HDMI and now can wake up the monitor. I used the USB-C as supplied by Asus and I tried a new Apple OEM USB-C to no avail. I am surprised at the limitations of this monitor especially when the Asus web site shows a Mac symbol beside it leaving me to assume that it was one of their more compatible to Mac monitors.

So just a few questions about the PA278CV thats attached to a Mac Mini M2
1. What am I loosing by using the HDMI cable only
2. Do I have a monitor that is not being used to its potential? (And could have purchased a less expensive model).
3. Of what value is the HUB good for when using HDMI.

Also is there a good working monitor for Mac Mini M2 with mic and camera to allow use of FaceTime?
With the PA278CV is there a recommended add on camera and mic for Facetime?

Note: Am in Canada and not too much help at the retaIl level. The PA278CV was not readily available. I let Staples contact me when back in stock. In my anxiousness I bought at Amazon. What a mistake! And never again. Staples contacted me with an in stock position and price including free delivery. Amazon charged me $42 delivery but the ad I bought from was supposed to be free. So the Staples price was $95 less and a new Amazon ad was $75 less. Amazon has very poor customer service and won’t price match themselves or Staples. ☹️ Nevertheless, I intend to enjoy the new monitor, and wonder if Asus would reconsider not using Amazon as a seller.

AppleRevenge

Reaction score
I am new here.

I would assume this thread could continue to talk about the incompatibly of the Asus PA278CV with a 2022 Mac Mini M2?
Yesterday I connected the USB-C/USB-C from Asus between the monitor and the Mac Mini. To enable the ports on the monitor. The Mac Mini is using the HDMI cable for the monitor.

Kept noticing that Apps like word, finder, notes would freeze and not start up. A reboot would fix it but annother App would act up. Reboot, Reboot ….. just like the old PC/Windows days ☹️

I pulled the USB-C/USB-C from the monitor and no more freezing. So the Asus Hub is now something I can’t use. Will use the 2 USB-C ports for my peripheral needs.

I feel quite deceived by the Asus web site.

IMG_0048.jpeg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.