M1 Studio vs M2 Mini

krs

Reaction score
I think Apple has marketing data that has been telling them for some time that most users don't upgrade memory or add internal drives. They upgrade systems by replacing the entire system. If they sold an upgradeable system I'd buy it for my next system but I'm a bit old school that way.
I think it's simply a way for Apple to make more money.
Not only is the premium to upgrade storage out of step with SSD prices, but the recommendations that an SSD should have more free space than a spinner drive makes it even worse.
Apple not having an upgradable system at least for the storage has held me back as well from buying a newer Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I bought a gently used M1 Mini from a friend recently. It has been quite a step up from my 2015 iMac. It has 16 GB of ram which should handle everything I do regularly given how well the OS manages memory.

The SSD is a bit small but I'm booting off of a third-party external SSD. It nay not be as fast as booting from the internal SSD but the difference is negligible.

The last few upgradeable systems were outside my budget otherwise I'd have bought one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...especially when compared to your 2011 17" MBP you list as your current MAC model. :rolleyes: :sneaky:
Yeah...that's pretty bad of me not updating my profile. Unfortunately that 2011 17" MacBook Pro died about 3 years ago (loved that 17" display)...and have been using a used 2017 15" MacBook Pro for at least 2-3 years.

Thanks for the reminder. Profile updated!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What I've been reading is that Apple may not even need a Mac Pro anymore, and they may be re-thinking offering one. Since Apple Silicon motherboards don't have slots for additional RAM, and their SSD's can't be upgraded, there seems to be little point in the Mac Pro form factor.
I've been trolling the internet/Youtube almost daily for any info regarding if Apple was going to come out with a newer Mac Studio model. Lots of references to an upcoming Apple Silicon Mac Pro...but then these Apple Silicon Mac Pro rumors have been flying around for at least 1.5-2.0 years (new Mac Pro just around the corner).;)

But you did link an article on that topic...thus someone has at least been considering it.

My theory is...when Apple finally releases an Apple Silicon Mac Pro...they're going to absolutely blow the doors off anything currently available (make the Mac Studio seem slow).;) It's probably going to have at least four M2 Ultra chips linked together in some special way...and probably have upgrade options for even more.

The current top end Mac Studio has a single M1 Ultra chip with 20 CPU cores and 48 GPU cores. To "blow the doors off" anything currently available...this theoretical new M2 or M3 based Apple Silicon Mac Pro...will probably have a total of 80-100 CPU cores...and 150-200 GPU cores (unless Apple is able to substantially improve the performance of each core CPU or GPU...compared to current per core performance levels).

Starting price will probably be around $5000-$6000 (similar starting price to the current 2019 Mac Pro)...and with upgrades (whatever they may be...RAM, SSD, CPU cores, GPU cores, etc.)...sky is the limit.

Current 2019 Mac Pro (maxed out)...is almost $52,000. Apple not afraid of big price tags!!! Lol

Regarding an Apple silicon Mac Pro and non-upgradeability after purchase (RAM, SSD, etc.). We've been down this road before with just about every other Apple computer model (especially Apple portable/laptop computers).

Of course no one really likes non-upgradability. Maybe the day has finally come for a non-upgradable Mac Pro. Need to configure it with as much RAM, SSD, CPU cores, and GPU cores as it will ever need in its lifetime...at time of purchase.

Hopefully we hear more about an upcoming Mac Pro at WWDC 2023 in about 1 months time.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
... and have been using a used 2017 15" MacBook Pro for at least 2-3 years.

Thanks for the reminder. Profile updated!:)

I thought you had been using a more recent model for quite some time, but I didn't want to nag too much... :rolleyes: ;)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.