M1 Pro not charging

Reaction score
So I looked online for all of the obvious solutions but i CANNOT get my MacBook Pro to begin charging. Been at 7% for two days now. It's plugged into its factory mag charger and an external monitor 24/7. The battery percentage is not decreasing, but its not going up either. Did a restart. Unchecked the optimize battery in the sys.prefs, but still nothing. I need to charge it bc I am going to be in a location tomorrow without direct wall power.
Any ideas on how I can force it to charge?? Maybe turn it off and leave on a charger??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That's weird. For that to happen, you would have to be draining the battery as fast as it is charging, which would be quite the feat. I would certainly try shutting it off and unplug everything except the charging cable to see if that does anything. Also try a different port.

You can use Coconut Battery to see if it says anything different about the charge level.

OP
S
Reaction score
So as a quick solution last night I decided to just run it off- charger until it completely died. Then while it was off, I hooked up the charger and it did fully charge overnight. Maybe something needed to be reset??? Not really sure.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
So as a quick solution last night I decided to just run it off- charger until it completely died. Then while it was off, I hooked up the charger and it did fully charge overnight. Maybe something needed to be reset??? Not really sure.

Are you saying that the "discharged" battery charged up to 100% over night?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So I looked online for all of the obvious solutions but i CANNOT get my MacBook Pro to begin charging. Been at 7% for two days now. It's plugged into its factory mag charger and an external monitor 24/7. The battery percentage is not decreasing, but its not going up either. Did a restart. Unchecked the optimize battery in the sys.prefs, but still nothing. I need to charge it bc I am going to be in a location tomorrow without direct wall power.
Any ideas on how I can force it to charge?? Maybe turn it off and leave on a charger??
Not questioning your eyesight, but could it have been 79% and not 7%? I ask because my M1 MBP is sitting at 76% right now because it is mostly used on the charger, so the charging circuitry is "holding" it there for battery life.

OP
S
Reaction score
no, it was 7%. the battery indicator was showing a super thin, red portion to the left. 7% for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It sounds like it just needed to be re-calibrated. Running the battery down will do that and is recommended periodically (even on iPhones), though yours is a pretty extreme situation. You likely never were at 7%, the system just couldn't calculate it properly anymore.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That really is odd. Just trying to think of any possible explanation, was your external monitor plugged in when you charged it over night?

OP
S
Reaction score
No. I removed all connections to the monitor when I charged it overnight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Late to this so hope you got it sorted. Were you able to try another charger as they don't last forever.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Does your problem remain resolved (we hope so)? If so, it's handy info for us in these forums. ie. Run it down completely then recharge o/night.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, the solution was to unhook the charger and let the battery completely discharge. I waited a bit, maybe an hour. Then connected the charger. And it began to charge normally. I guess that letting it go through that process allowed the battery to reset itself. Lifesabeach mentions this above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.