M1 Mini with 4 Displays

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with the new M1 Mini with multiple displays. I have 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro and this machine is simply outdated. I'm researching how I can get these 4 monitors working on a new Mini.

Given the port setup and capabilities, using Thunderbolt and a direct connection to the ports, it can be achieved with a dock. At least that's what I've seen (6 displays in fact). Here is the dock:

First Dock

But I'm wondering if I could use two of these instead:

Second Dock

MacWorld Editor's Choice Review

This isn't supposed to be a gaming machine and 30 Hz is just fine for refresh rates. It seems OWC is now responding to the new units on the market, as real estate is king for some of us, and the restrictions on the new M1 units has us searching for options.

Any insight appreciated. Cheers

Attachments

• M1 Ports.png
    M1 Ports.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 12.45.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 12.45.06 PM.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 21

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I drive two monitors off my 2018 Mac Mini. One is connected to the HDMI port and the other to the TB port.

At work I had this Wavlink docking station to drive 2 2K monitors off my MBP which was my 3rd display. So with this (or similar dock) and the two connectors on the Mac Mini, you could drive 4 displays.

Be aware thought that these docks utilize a set of USB drivers, Wavlink uses DisplayLink to power the external monitors and if you have a LOT of activity on there, this will have an adverse effect on the Mini's performance since all of that is data over the USB bus.

OP
daBee
Reaction score
Ok a lot of these docks seem to be the same. The Mini has a native port for my large 34" display, which is where vids should be handled. So options look good. Cheers

OP
daBee
Reaction score
The Plugable didn't recognize one of my displays. I have three displays working on the M1 with another port on a Thunderbay 4 DisplayPort option. AND that other Thunderbolt port (USB-C) can pan out to 4 more displays.

The future is now.

Reaction score
The Plugable didn't recognize one of my displays. I have three displays working on the M1 with another port on a Thunderbay 4 DisplayPort option. AND that other Thunderbolt port (USB-C) can pan out to 4 more displays.

The future is now.
What did you end up doing to solve all of this? I'm looking to have 2 monitors and not sure I want to run one monitor off of HDMI and another off of a TB connection.

Did you get a good/working set-up for yourself?

OP
daBee
Reaction score
OK, here is the current working setup.

Two displays plugged into the DisplayPort ports on the Plugable. The Mini HDMI port goes to my third monitor. That monitor didn't work with the DisplayPort anyway. So I have 3 displays working.

Now, I have a Thunderbay 4 that magically had a DisplayPort on it, and that works as well. So the Plugable has a bit of an issue, and they recognized that, but I think they will be working on it. It's an Asus monitor that simply wasn't working with the Plugable. It works on the M1 HDMI, and the Thunderbay DisplayPort.

Reaction score
OK, here is the current working setup.

Two displays plugged into the DisplayPort ports on the Plugable. The Mini HDMI port goes to my third monitor. That monitor didn't work with the DisplayPort anyway. So I have 3 displays working.

Now, I have a Thunderbay 4 that magically had a DisplayPort on it, and that works as well. So the Plugable has a bit of an issue, and they recognized that, but I think they will be working on it. It's an Asus monitor that simply wasn't working with the Plugable. It works on the M1 HDMI, and the Thunderbay DisplayPort.

Sorry to be dumb, but what "plugable" are you referring to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.