Lost email account and filed emails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
I updated the OS on my MaBook which I hadn't used for about a year and put it away. Later I was working on my iMac on a very complex spreadsheet and a message told me that I couldn't save it. I therefore saved it with a different file name. That was fine but suddenly I found that I had lost all my saved emails in a number of folders. I also found that I had lost all my Contacts. My email account had been deleted. I don't really know how that occurred. I was unable to restore it as I can't remember its password. My iPad and iPhone are not affected and I still have the same email account and the contacts are still there. My question is ' How do I restore my email account which should be [email protected]' ? This is very important as I do all my work on my iMac as I have impaired eyesight and at a loss without a large screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a current backup of your iMac? If so, you can try to restore from the backup. If not then:

The first thing I would do is boot to Recovery (Command + R) select Utilities, Disk Utility, and run First Aid on the drive.

You really have not provided us with enough information: Which version of macOS? Year and model of iMac?

Let us know the results of running First Aid on the drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a current backup of your iMac? If so, you can try to restore from the backup. If not then:

The first thing I would do is boot to Recovery (Command + R) select Utilities, Disk Utility, and run First Aid on the drive.

You really have not provided us with enough information: Which version of macOS? Year and model of iMac?

I haven't got a current back up of my iMac. I tried Recovery and nothing happens. It is completely dead.

I have 11.5.1 installed. It is a 2017 21.5" iMac purchased in Dec 2020

Emails sent from my MacBook are not received. What else can I try.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

In the last few minutes iCloud Mail has appeared in Safari and seems to fully functional. I have Bookmarked it under favourites. Is this the cure of my problems I wonder?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In the last few minutes iCloud Mail has appeared in Safari and seems to fully functional. I have Bookmarked it under favourites. Is this the cure of my problems I wonder?

I'm not really sure what's going on with your email problem. What's worrisome is the fact that you state Recovery failed on your 2017 21.5" iMac. That's not a good sign and could indicate a hardware problem, possibly a failed hard drive.

How about the email account on your MacBook, are you able to retrieve your mail that way?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not really sure what's going on with your email problem. What's worrisome is the fact that you state Recovery failed on your 2017 21.5" iMac. That's not a good sign and could indicate a hardware problem, possibly a failed hard drive.

How about the email account on your MacBook, are you able to retrieve your mail that way?

The email account on the MacBook is working normally. The account on the iMac is not responding at all. However, the iCloud Mail which appeared on Safari the iMac is working just as well as the email
account on the MacBook. This is very strange. I will get the iMac checked out by a service I have used in the past and got my old iMac working again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.