License issue with MacOS in VM

Reaction score
Hi,

Scenario1
I obtained a MacOS Monterey image (ARM based only I think, taken from the Apple public CDN), I'm currently running it in UTM using the same architecture (therefore ARM), sweet and smooth.
Normally, I should not login with my Apple account, because Apple may have something to say about it.
In this case I'd be able to update the OS, but not the Apps coming from the App Store (you need to login for that), I think that Apple made it on purpose, or simply because it would have gone in contrast with your list of Apps/Software.

I don't know how this could have been a problem though, because the new VM would have been seen as a new device on their side, but a device that they don't recognize. Whatever, I don't want to risk, but I'm very interested to know how the real story is.

Scenario 2
I'd love to run the same MacOS VM on a Linux environment, most probably using KVM, in order to use MacOS with more powerful hardware, mostly due to RAM quantity and disk size.
There are a few issues though:
1. Will Monterey run without surprises? The Linux host will be X64, but I could also use Windows X64 with HyperV (gonna test it soon).
2. Can I login with my account without being hammered by some Apple policy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Scenario 1 - you do not make it clear if the computer you are using is a mac. If it is and the apps you are using are coming from the app store then there should be no violation of the license agreements. If I am understanding you correctly

Scenario 2 - Running a MacOS in VM on a mac running Linux I believe is fine but if the computer is a PC that is against the licensing agreement and therefore illegal. Mac OS has to be used on a mac to be legal.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.