• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Leak suggests the next iPhone will have an always-on display

Reaction score
The next iPhone will be able to record video in Portrait Mode and shoot in ProRes, according to a new report from Bloomberg. Reporter Mark Gurman claims that the next model, which nobody is expecting to be called the iPhone 13 for obvious reasons, will also offer better filters for improving images after shooting.

Gurman’s sources also suggest that this phone will be more of an evolution compared to the revolution that was the iPhone 12. The design language, display sizes and model line up are likely to stay the same, with only the chip (A15) and screen technology changing. Gurman said that there will be a smaller notch for the FaceID cameras, and that the display will have a faster refresh rate.

Some of this lines up with a leak from February, when leaker Max Weinbach claimed that the new handset would get a low-power, 120Hz LTPO always-on display. As did analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, and Weinbach added that the handset would be able to shoot live video in Portrait Mode, too. The fact that many of these leaks more or less corroborate each other gives weight to what we can expect to see in the next month or so.

Click here to view the article...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well that's interesting. I really like my always-on Apple Watch screen and technically a number of Samsung phones have been doing this for quite a while albiet with minimal info showing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Always-on kills my  Watch battery, so it's off for me. With it on, I got one day/charge. With it off, I get about 2.5 days/charge. If the iPhone is the same, it'll be off for me on that, too. I just don't see the reason for always-on when the  Watch comes on when you move it to look at it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An "Always on" display is going to wear down a battery much faster. Unless the technology improves, I don't see it as something I would want. For me, it's just as easy to tap my phone and have the display come on so I can see the time or whatever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.