Late 2016 MacBook Pro Dock charging question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Good morning, I have a 15" MBP ordered. I am looking at various docks. I am considering this one. by OWC. On the last note OWC states:
"5. Up to 60W of power available for device charging through the USB Type-C Computer Link port. Devices that require more than 60W may charge slowly or not at all."
Apple's web page states the MBP comes with a 87W USB-C Power Adapter.
Do you think this will be a problem? Will the MBP charge? Any thoughts?

What dock are you using or considering?

THanks
Monty

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 2016 MacBook Pro line is very new with few people even commenting about them in our forums. However, reading the specs on that particular dock, it's not going to be enough power to provide a normal charge for your new 15" MBP. It will charge the machine but very slowly. You might want to wait a bit and see what else will be available. Or, you can give OWC a call on their 800 customer support line and ask them if they're planning on a more powerful dock in the future.

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
That sounds like good advice. I have enough dongles, I think I'll wait!

The 2016 MacBook Pro line is very new with few people even commenting about them in our forums. However, reading the specs on that particular dock, it's not going to be enough power to provide a normal charge for your new 15" MBP. It will charge the machine but very slowly. You might want to wait a bit and see what else will be available. Or, you can give OWC a call on their 800 customer support line and ask them if they're planning on a more powerful dock in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.