Just returned a new 15" MBP with touchbar

Reaction score
Sadly, it would not work with my old 24" Westinghouse monitor. I was on the phone with Apple all weekend trying to find a solution, but no go. We tried to connect with the Apple Multiport adapter using HDMI and the screen looked terrible. I didn't feel like shelling out for a new monitor, so I returned the computer. I'm sticking with my 2012 rMBP for now. I'll get a new MBP once I do some research and get a new monitor or they come up with better connectivity options.

This is the first Mac I have returned in my life, and I've used them since the 80s. Seemed a terrible shame, but I just could not justify keeping it for now. Anybody else do the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Just simply get a modern display such as BenQ or any number of others.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm surprised that you could not get your old monitor to work properly. Almost any flat panel monitor should work.

As far as returning the new MBP. I don't want to judge. But I'm really not sure the best decision was made. If you liked the MacBook Pro...returning a $2000+ new MacBook Pro in favor of keeping an older used 24" monitor that may only be worth $50-$75 bucks is sort of like doing thing in "reverse-logic".;)

The newest MacBook Pro's are certainly compatible with existing external monitors. And if your 24" Westinghouse monitor is not compatible for some strange reason...I'm absolutely sure if a newer flat panel monitor was purchased (for $150 ot less)...it would be compatible with the newest MBP (may need an adapter...which is not uncommon).

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Just simply get a modern display such as BenQ or any number of others.

Thanks for the welcome! I will for sure do what you say. It was already a stretch financially buying the computer, I wasn't counting on having to get a new monitor too. So, I'm just gonna sit tight and research monitors, get one and then go get the MBP at a later date. These things happen, I suppose. A friend at work said it might be a blessing in disguise, since the ones that come out later this year should be an even bigger improvement.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you could not get your old monitor to work properly. Almost any flat panel monitor should work.

As far as returning the new MBP. I don't want to judge. But I'm really not sure the best decision was made. If you liked the MacBook Pro...returning a $2000+ new MacBook Pro in favor of keeping an older used 24" monitor that may only be worth $50-$75 bucks is sort of like doing thing in "reverse-logic".;)

The newest MacBook Pro's are certainly compatible with existing external monitors. And if your 24" Westinghouse monitor is not compatible for some strange reason...I'm absolutely sure if a newer flat panel monitor was purchased (for $150 ot less)...it would be compatible with the newest MBP (may need an adapter...which is not uncommon).

- Nick

I just took it as a sign it might be best to wait a while longer, see my post above. I work in advertising, so I need a decent monitor. At the time I bought the Westinghouse, it was $600 and at the top of the heap. It is ten years old and yes, it's time for something new. Nothing wrong with waiting bit longer. :)

And yes, I was surprised it wouldn't work too. Maybe some compatibility issues will get worked out in the meantime, but I will still look into getting a new one. The Apple reps were surprised it didn't work also, but did state that the thing is ten years old, so there you go.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was already a stretch financially buying the computer, I wasn't counting on having to get a new monitor too.

Totally understandable. Brand new computers are not cheap...especially 15" MacBook Pro's. But if it were me...if I had "pulled the trigger" on a brand new 15" MBP...and then found out an external monitor I had wasn't compatible. I would have kept the new MacBook Pro...and used it without an external monitor for a while until a newer exteranal monitor was sourced.

If this MacBook Pro purchase was a semi-budget-buster. Maybe there was a bit of "buyer's remorse" at play here.;) It happens.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Totally understandable. Brand new computers are not cheap...especially 15" MacBook Pro's. But if it were me...if I had "pulled the trigger" on a brand new 15" MBP...and then found out an external monitor I had wasn't compatible. I would have kept the new MacBook Pro...and used it without an external monitor for a while until a newer exteranal monitor was sourced.

If this MacBook Pro purchase was a semi-budget-buster. Maybe there was a bit of "buyer's remorse" at play here.;) It happens.:)

- Nick

Yeah, that is probably more the case. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At the time I bought the Westinghouse, it was $600 and at the top of the heap. It is ten years old and yes, it's time for something new. Nothing wrong with waiting bit longer. :)

You didn't mention the quality of this Westinghouse monitor in the first post. It very well may have been a very good monitor 10 years ago.

I happen to own a 30" Apple Cinema display that was introduced in 2004...with an original price tag of $3299. It's a great monitor that I still use. But just like your 10 year old 24" monitor...it's not worth anywhere near it's original price.

I'm still surprised that your 10 year old monitor could not be made to work with your new MBP. But if so...a suitable replacement (new or used) for your 10 year old monitor could certainly be found relatively cheaply. Since almost any technology used in that 10 year old 24" monitor...would be a lot less expensive now.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the 2016 MacBook Pro was a bit of a "budget buster"...you could always consider a newer used MacBook Pro...or check out the Apple refurbished area for a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro. You can usually save at least 15% (sometimes more) off a brand new unit. Refurbished Apple computers are just like new...and come with the exact same warranty as a new computer.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
You didn't mention the quality of this Westinghouse monitor in the first post. It very well may have been a very good monitor 10 years ago.

I happen to own a 30" Apple Cinema display that was introduced in 2004...with an original price tag of $3299. It's a great monitor that I still use. But just like your 10 year old 24" monitor...it's not worth anywhere near it's original price.

I'm still surprised that your 10 year old monitor could not be made to work with your new MBP. But if so...a suitable replacement (new or used) for your 10 year old monitor could certainly be found relatively cheaply. Since almost any technology used in that 10 year old 24" monitor...would be a lot less expensive now.:)

- Nick

After talking with some folks at work, I'll be looking to get a 4k this time around. If I'm gonna update, might as well go for it! I'm looking into those now, and even those seem very reasonable. Like I said, in a few more months it will all get resolved. It just hurt to take it back. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It just hurt to take it back. :)

Totally understandable. The good thing is...you got your money back...and another computer with your name on it will always be there when you're ready!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.