Junk Mail

Reaction score
Cannot find where to post this so might need to be redirected. My wife and I both have desk top iMacs and use the mail program extensively but junk mail is a mystery. Our junk mail settings are identical: enable junk mail,mark as junk mail but leave in the in box, etc but this is where the mystery lies. In my mac all junk mail automatically goes to the junk folder not to the in box. That's an annoyance but I can live with it but my wife has the same problem with an added wrinkle. Much of her junk mail is from family members including from me, clearly not junk causing her to miss many family mailings. I realize this is pretty sparse information so please ask for more if necessary and suggestions will be appreciated

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That's an annoyance but I can live with it but my wife has the same problem with an added wrinkle. Much of her junk mail is from family members including from me, clearly not junk causing her to miss many family mailings.

You need to check all your preference tabs and settings for your Mail.apps, and especially Rules and Junk etc. but it sounds like Mail is not getting trained properly, and not being told of some of the junk mail is not junk and it needs user input to help train it amongst other conditions.

Also, make sure that every relative's email address is in each of your Contacts.app list. It seems to help.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
My wife and I both have desk top iMacs and use the mail program extensively but junk mail is a mystery.

After many years of assisting users with Apple's Mail, and *never* having been able to get Mail's anti-spam feature to work consistently, I just gave up and now use and very highly recommend SpamSieve ($30):

http://c-command.com/spamsieve/

SpamSieve does an almost magical job of sorting spam into its own folder to be looked at and erased at your leisure. Worth every penny of it’s price. I find SpanSieve to be invaluable.

Review:

https://www.macworld.com/article/30...ve-spam-filter-for-your-mac-email-client.html

Once you have spam tamed, you can use Mail's rules to sort (legitimate) things into mail folders to make dealing with your e-mail way easier. If you need assistance with creating rules in Mail, just let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hmmm. That's interesting. I am unaware of any spam getting to my Inbox, or any legitimate messages going to Junk in Mail. (Mojave) I only use Mail for friends and family. Businesses get a web-based address to send stuff to. I get a fair amount of spam sent to that address. Maybe my strategy is the key. (?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Much of her junk mail is from family members including from me, clearly not junk causing her to miss many family mailings.

After re-reading your original post, I'm having a hard time translating what you are actually saying and what is happening.

It seems that several family members are sending her junk email??? Or the spam appears to be coming from family members, and in that case, they are no doubt forged.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused I guess as to what is actually happening.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.