itunes password problems

Reaction score
For some reason, my Mac will not remember my itunes password, and neither do I, apparently. I changed the password a while ago, wrote it down, and it never worked. Now when I try the "Forgot your password" route, itunes is stuck in a do-loop. I enter the code they send, and it goes right back to "enter your phone number". It just did this 3 times in a row. Why does my Mac not remember my itunes password? Why is itunes in this loop? Where can I go to get help from Apple with itunes? I just tried to get Apple tech support, and all I got was the spinning wheel of death. WTB? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What Mac, what version of macOS? it makes a difference in what we tell you to do to get the iTunes password entered.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry, I did not know that. I have High Sierra, V10.13.6. Two days ago, I somehow got into itunes when the Updates Ready window popped up, and it spent 20 minutes or so downloading what was apparently Catalina, if I recall. But, nothing else came of that possible download. I am grossly confused. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And now I'm confused. iTunes doesn't have Catalina. Catalina is an operating system for Mac that you get either through the Mac App Store, or if you were running something more modern than High Sierra, through System Preferences. iTunes has nothing to do with it at all. Do you mean, maybe iCloud instead of iTunes? What is it you are trying to do? Do you have an iPhone? There is an update to the iPhone that would come through iTunes on that version of macOS. As I said, I'm confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPhone 8+, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPad
I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 I thought that my Apple ID password and my iTunes password were one in the same however I had to reset my iPhone 8+ after a screen replacement and was asked during the process to enter my iTunes password and put in my Apple ID password. The recovery process kept rejecting it as a wrong password. I ended up having to do the recovery as a new I phone which worked. I have sense signed into iTunes with my Apple ID password successfully. I guess my question is why would it reject it during the initial recovery try and then work after I set up my phone as a new phone? Causing much aggravation. Oh and btw I am an old carrier sailor. USS Nimitz CVN-68 Plank Owner

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.