iTunes backup not showing voice memos

Reaction score
hello
iPhone SE (first gen)
running iTunes on a windows 10 PC

i currently have 585 voice memos on my iPhone SE
when i hook up to iTunes and start a backup it is successful however none of the voice memos show up in the iTunes library.

within the iTunes library itself the only voice memos that do show up are 388 voice memos from a very old backup i did years ago with my old i phone 5, i would simply like to add any new voice memos to this 388 to reflect the total of 585.

regardless of how many new backups i try the original 388 voice memos never change to reflect to current state of my iPhone.

i have tried uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling but somehow it continues to make an association with the original 388 old voice memos??

i also have i cloud backup off when doing this iTunes backup.
i have also tried different variations of the check boxes "prevent from syncing automatically"
and "manually manage music"

i am afraid to try a "sync" for fear that it will replace the voice memos on my phone with the old outdated 388 voice memos.

this is beyond frustrating, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Backups are not the same as syncing.
Does your PC version of iTunes backup to ICloud? I believe it can be done.
If all devices are backed up and synced to the same iCloud account they should all display the same data.
I understand your reluctance to sync to the PC but other than using a third party app like iMazing or linking all devices via iCloud I cannot think of another way.

OP
M
Reaction score
Backups are not the same as syncing.
Does your PC version of iTunes backup to ICloud? I believe it can be done.
If all devices are backed up and synced to the same iCloud account they should all display the same data.
I understand your reluctance to sync to the PC but other than using a third party app like iMazing or linking all devices via iCloud I cannot think of another way.
i prefer to have the 2 backups independent, i cloud stand alone and iTunes via my PC stand alone.
i do not pay for extra storage in i cloud hence my pictures are not backed up, i assume they are backed up when i do a hard wire backup to the PC.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Like Rod, above, I can't see a solution other than syncing all your Devices to iCloud; that way ensuring that all Devices have the same data.

I fully understand your genuine fears about losing critical data (voice memos especially); but that should not happen when you sync - indeed the purpose behind syncing is that the Devices all share the same data.

I'm sorry I'm not able to think of an alternative solution.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.