Issue with iOS 17.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have not updated yet, however a friend has, and has these observations, thoughts/comments:

Contact iCon located at the bottom of my home screen went away.
Some of contacts have been lost.
Furthermore on phone the Mute and Speaker buttons have swapped sides,

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jim B

I have to stay that the updates to 17.2 on my iDevices and those of my wife have, not yet, revealed any problems.

No help to you, of course, but perhaps a suggestion that there are problems specific to your devices? - or not, of course :)

Ian

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jim B

I have to stay that the updates to 17.2 on my iDevices and those of my wife have, not yet, revealed any problems.

No help to you, of course, but perhaps a suggestion that there are problems specific to your devices? - or not, of course :)

Ian
Yep, I have asked which iPhone he is using

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The problems which your friend listed are a bit of a mystery to me.
"Contact Icon"; is he referring to the Contacts app? Did he have the app on the Dock and now it's gone? If so it can just be dragged back.

"Some Contacts have been lost"; I have no explanation for that. Upgrading the iOS shouldn't make any changes to stored data. Does the iPhone in question sync with iCloud, if so any data previously synced should be restored, Contacts syncing is on by default.
"Mute and Speaker buttons have swapped sides"; this is a real mystery. If your friend is referring to the mute slide button (top left side of the phone) I cannot imagine how it could have changed sides. It's a dedicated switch which to my knowledge cannot be allocated to a different button. The Speaker button, is he referring to the Volume buttons?

All I can say is I upgraded my iPhone SE2 to 17.2 a few days ago and have not observed any lost data or strange changes in functions or display.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Adding to Rod's careful and thoughtful post:

With iOS 17.x, the "Mute" button, top left, (also called the Action Button) can be adjusted to cater for a number of alternative options: Settings > Action Button then flick left to see the other options.

What I think the OP is referring to is the Mute & Speaker options seen during a phone call: This is what it used to look like:

S5.jpg

As I understand it, the Mute & Speaker options have swapped sides.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Oh, that's probably it, well picked up Ian👍🏻. Not much of an issue though, I hadn't even noticed, but then I don't get/make a lot of voice calls.😊

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@IWT and @Rod many thanks for your input, on asking more questions myself, he is using an SE (not sure which one), and went straight from 16.XX to 17.2, so I think most of his issues are related to the change to IOS 17. updated my iPhone 13 yesterday, and as yet no issues. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Mute & Speaker options have swapped sides.

I don't use such an iDevice, but I wonder why they would do that and apparently switch the location of some other buttons as well???:

and

All right, maybe they just got moved because they can and they really do like to change things even if it doesn't make any sense at times. Strange.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.