Is there any maintenance I should do on my RAID 5?

Reaction score
I have a RAID 5. It's got 4 drives in it. I'm working on a feature length doc in FCPX. It's been in there for I think 4 years.

Is there any sort of basic maintenance to do? I used to use programs like Disk Warrior or other type things. But I have no idea if that stuff is helpful or even a good idea for a RAID 5. I just know as Im using these drives a lot now, I want optimal performance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Nothing special you need or should do in a RAID environment. I do hope that you have this backed up in a second place as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
I have the same setup (4x2TB in a RAID-5 array). Nothing needs to be done to maintain the drives, unless they're getting close to capacity, in which case you should swap in larger drives. (Just spitballing, I'd say do it once you get above 85%.) I also want to echo Raz0rEdge: Keep a backup in the cloud or on an off-site HD. For large amounts of data, the latter is more practical. Recovering terabytes from a cloud archive is a looooong, slooooow process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.