Is it possible to back down to an older OSX?

Reaction score
I continue to have problems that only showed up since "upgrading" to Yosemite. It it at all possible to back "down" to Mavericks?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You certainly can as long as your machine came with either Mavericks or something prior to it. See here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
You certainly can as long as your machine came with either Mavericks or something prior to it. See here.

@ Slothead - looking in your profile, appears that your own many Apple products, including an iMac mid-2012, MacBook Pro/Retina, and MacBook Air 11" - which machine(s) do you want to downgrade of Mavericks? I read Vansmith's link and some strict requirements are needed, e.g. a Time Machine backup which you may have or not?

Before proceeding, please let us know which of these computers is having issues w/ Yosemite and tell us the specific problems - may be these can be addressed leaving Yosemite intact which would likely be an easier solution - provide all of the necessary detail, especially about your home network, if that is a problem. Dave :)

P.S. I've not read your other posts, so if this has already been addressed, sorry.

OP
slothead
Reaction score
Well It looks like I am out of luck because I don't have a Time Machine Backup of the hard drive before the upgrade. My Time Machine drive died about the same time as as the upgrade. Half of my 4TB LaCie drive died and all the Time Machine backups are long gone.

Not sure what I'll do now.

OP
slothead
Reaction score
@ Slothead - looking in your profile, appears that your own many Apple products, including an iMac mid-2012, MacBook Pro/Retina, and MacBook Air 11" - which machine(s) do you want to downgrade of Mavericks? I read Vansmith's link and some strict requirements are needed, e.g. a Time Machine backup which you may have or not?

Before proceeding, please let us know which of these computers is having issues w/ Yosemite and tell us the specific problems - may be these can be addressed leaving Yosemite intact which would likely be an easier solution - provide all of the necessary detail, especially about your home network, if that is a problem. Dave :)

P.S. I've not read your other posts, so if this has already been addressed, sorry.
Dave,
I have recently finally upgraded all three of the Macs to which you referred to Yosemite.

The Mid-2012 iMac has screen issues (I call it noise), freezes from time to time, and can't add audio to my PS/CS6 videos.

My MacBook Pro/Retina has PS/CS6 issues (same audio issue as the iMac) and can't play MP4s in PS/CS6.

The MacAir 11" seems to be working perfectly with Yosemite.

I was hoping to downgrade the iMac to the Mavericks OSX because it is the most apparently affected.

Thanks,

Reaction score
the noise and freezing are signs the graphics card is going out not the o.s is causing the issues

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I might be reading your message incorrectly, but it seems to me that what you're actually saying here is that Yosemite works perfectly on all your machines, but Photoshop CS6 doesn't seem to work well.

Solution: check with Adobe for updates to CS6, or consider going for the CC version of Photoshop. It's $10 a month (ie about 1/7th the cost of the retail Photoshop).

OP
slothead
Reaction score
I might be reading your message incorrectly, but it seems to me that what you're actually saying here is that Yosemite works perfectly on all your machines, but Photoshop CS6 doesn't seem to work well.

Solution: check with Adobe for updates to CS6, or consider going for the CC version of Photoshop. It's $10 a month (ie about 1/7th the cost of the retail Photoshop).
That's close Chuck, but on the iMac something is creating a lot of screen noise (small patterned blocks of odd image data - see below), as well as causing freezing intermittently and infrequently. Other than that it is all PS/CS6 differences/changes.

IMG_0932_zpsimlj1em8.png

IMG_0933_zps7tg3y4tn.png

OP
slothead
Reaction score
I forgot to mention chas_m that I have been investigating PS CC (I have avoided it since it came out because I don't like renting software), but I wouldn't want to sign up for it and find out that my Yosemite wouldn't allow it to work either. Second strike against PS CC, I do some of my work in the field or without a fast connection and I understand that it wouldn't work like that (but I'm not sure).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Second strike against PS CC, I do some of my work in the field or without a fast connection and I understand that it wouldn't work like that (but I'm not sure).
The CC suite does indeed work offline as per their help guide (see here). I've also installed Flash Builder on my Mac which, although not part of the CC, is installed through the CC app, and it works fine offline.

I was going to say as well that this is a PS issue but you seem to have some odd visual artifacts. Run a hardware test (see here) to see if it reports anything back about your graphics hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a 2011 MB Pro 15" running CS6 - Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Indesign etc. I have not seen any of those problems. I did do, originally, an install over Mavericks and I had no issues. I later did a nuke and pave - clean install of Yosemite and restored from my Time Machine backup. Not due to an issue with Yosemite but due to my attempts at installing Virtual Box and a lot of mistakes (that is all in another post).

Anyway there are several updates for CS6. I am not sure if that will solve your issues though it does look like a video driver incompatibility and updates might fix that.

As for Adobe CC, I understand the reluctance to pay a fee. I have the same issue. In my case I would have to pay for the whole suite and I am not liking that idea. I do know you do not have to be connected to the internet for CC to work. It requires a connection monthly to check your eligibility but all the apps are downloaded and installed on your computer. I still don't like it so I will stick with CS6 for now.

The only other option is to move all your data off the computer and do an internet reinstall of mavericks. Then reinstall you apps which you would have to have the original program files or disks. Then move your data back to the computer. It is a pain to do.

Lisa

OP
slothead
Reaction score
The CC suite does indeed work offline as per their help guide (see here). I've also installed Flash Builder on my Mac which, although not part of the CC, is installed through the CC app, and it works fine offline.

I was going to say as well that this is a PS issue but you seem to have some odd visual artifacts. Run a hardware test (see here) to see if it reports anything back about your graphics hardware.
Van, Thanks for the tip on CC. I will continue to consider it (especially since it is my MBP that I use off-site and is working fine otherwise).

Regarding the diagnostics, I have attempted this before and have not had success (either before, or just now when I tried it in response to your suggestion). My iMac does not seem to recognize the D key entry during start-up, and just starts up as it always does once the power button is pressed (and the D key held - after pressing the power button but before the gray screen appears). I actually considered that this might also be another artifact of a hosed OSX.

I'm open to any other ideas - I sincerely appreciate your assistance.

OP
slothead
Reaction score
I have a 2011 MB Pro 15" running CS6 - Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Indesign etc. I have not seen any of those problems. I did do, originally, an install over Mavericks and I had no issues. I later did a nuke and pave - clean install of Yosemite and restored from my Time Machine backup. Not due to an issue with Yosemite but due to my attempts at installing Virtual Box and a lot of mistakes (that is all in another post).

Anyway there are several updates for CS6. I am not sure if that will solve your issues though it does look like a video driver incompatibility and updates might fix that.

As for Adobe CC, I understand the reluctance to pay a fee. I have the same issue. In my case I would have to pay for the whole suite and I am not liking that idea. I do know you do not have to be connected to the internet for CC to work. It requires a connection monthly to check your eligibility but all the apps are downloaded and installed on your computer. I still don't like it so I will stick with CS6 for now.

The only other option is to move all your data off the computer and do an internet reinstall of mavericks. Then reinstall you apps which you would have to have the original program files or disks. Then move your data back to the computer. It is a pain to do.

Lisa
Hi Lisa, I just saw your post. I'm slightly more inclined than you to consider the monthly CC fee since I only use PS, ACR (and could, but never have, use LR).

With my situation (not having any backup), if I really do have to reinstall Mavericks, my only recourse may be what you described in moving all the data and reinstalling what I want to keep. I was under the impression however that since Yosemite has been installed it might have modified all those apps/data files so that what is saved, might not work with Mavericks. Am I wrong about this? I thought that was why the Yosemite install took so long (it was busy modifying all apps).

Thanks,

OP
slothead
Reaction score
Another thought for all you very helpful folks... It just occurred to me that there was another application that was added about the same time as the screen artifacts appeared. I installed a Wacom tablet and support software. I would consider removing these files, but I am not 100% certain how such a folder full of files (and potentially other support tweaks that were installed with the Wacom support software) are properly uninstalled. Any advice on this would be appreciated also (or any news that Wacom stuff doesn't like Yosemite).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another thought for all you very helpful folks... It just occurred to me that there was another application that was added about the same time as the screen artifacts appeared. I installed a Wacom tablet and support software. I would consider removing these files, but I am not 100% certain how such a folder full of files (and potentially other support tweaks that were installed with the Wacom support software) are properly uninstalled. Any advice on this would be appreciated also (or any news that Wacom stuff doesn't like Yosemite).

Regarding the screen artifacts. What you want to figure out if it's a hardware or a software issue. The easy way to do this is boot the computer from an external drive with ONLY a fresh install of the OS on it.

- If the screen artifacts disappear…then it's a software issue on the internal HD.
- If the screen artifacts do not disappear…then it's a hardware problem.

* Nick

OP
slothead
Reaction score
Regarding the screen artifacts. What you want to figure out if it's a hardware or a software issue. The easy way to do this is boot the computer from an external drive with ONLY a fresh install of the OS on it.

- If the screen artifacts disappear…then it's a software issue on the internal HD.
- If the screen artifacts do not disappear…then it's a hardware problem.

* Nick
That sounds like excellent advice Nick, but I don't think I know how to boot from an external drive, and I also don't know how to put an OS on that external drive.

I'm not asking for more help (it sounds like it could be very involved), but I also don't want you to think I am ignoring you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay now that might make sense. There are a ton of post on the web about Wacom drivers not working well with Yosemite. You don't say what drivers you used or if they were the newest updated ones for Yosemite. I have read a lot of people are experiencing issues with this. Here is a link I found that will hopefully help you potentially track down and fix the issue.

http://community.wacom.com/en/inspi...r/using-wacom-drivers-with-mac-os-x-yosemite/

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
For what it's worth, I have a new 5k Retina iMac running Yosemite and I have had no problems running CS6 and LR. But I do not use the Wacom devices so maybe that's the difference.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 9,2; 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5; 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Another thought for all you very helpful folks... It just occurred to me that there was another application that was added about the same time as the screen artifacts appeared. I installed a Wacom tablet and support software. …

I began having screen artifacts on my 3-4 yr old MBP when I upgraded to Mavericks, so severe that I bought a brand new MBP with Yosemite and it showed the same or similar screen artifacts as soon as I set it up. Apple replaced my brand-new MBP immediately and I got similar artifacts on that one too!. Then I read somewhere to try unplugging my second monitor. Immediately upon doing that and re-starting, the screen artifacts no longer appeared on my brand new replacement MBP nor on my 3-4 yr old MBP!

Your story says that your artifacts began to appear when you plugged in a Wacom tablet - do you see a similarity here? The problem may have started in Mavericks and continued over into Yosemite, involving Macs with certain peripherals plugged in.

Best wishes, Nate :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.