is it because of Liquid Damage (Sugary Drink)

Reaction score
I posted about this question in other forum, I spilled about a tablespoon of sugary drink on keyboard around a,s,d,q, I quickly turned it off.And I flip it over overnight and haven't turned it on since then.
AoA60Pv.jpg

rzUR5JR.jpg

And the next morning I disassembled it, and I checked on the logic board and found these spot, is it because of the water damage or is it normal?
someone told me (from other forum) it's not because of liquid damage,
that person said "it looks like Apples hot glue / Epoxy fetish. its too regular shaped and does not look like any fluid damage I have ever seen."

and what should I do? I don't think I can't go to mac repair :(

I haven't put out the battery because I don't have the right tool.

Thanks for your time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And the next morning I disassembled it, and I checked on the logic board and found these spot, is it because of the water damage or is it normal?
someone told me (from other forum) it's not because of liquid damage,
that person said "it looks like Apples hot glue / Epoxy fetish. its too regular shaped and does not look like any fluid damage I have ever seen."

I agree. Does not look like anything to do with liquid.

and what should I do? I don't think I can't go to mac repair :(

It's kind of decision time on your part...to turn it on or not turn it on. If all of liquid has dried up or been cleaned up...and if all residue of the liquid (sugary/syrupy stuff). Then there should be no additional damage caused if turned on. If any damage was done...it may have occurred already...before it was turned off.

Your choices are:

- Turn it on (if its been cleaned up as best as you can).
- Head to an Apple Store & have Apple look at it.

* Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
It's kind of decision time on your part...to turn it on or not turn it on. If all of liquid has dried up or been cleaned up...and if all residue of the liquid (sugary/syrupy stuff). Then there should be no additional damage caused if turned on. If any damage was done...it may have occurred already...before it was turned off.

Your choices are:

- Turn it on (if its been cleaned up as best as you can).
- Head to an Apple Store & have Apple look at it.

* Nick

uhh thanks for the answer,
I feel better after you answered my questions. Probably I will go to the apple store and check it out, but buying a new logic board is kinda impossible for me right now :(
so *fingers crossed* hope nothing will go wrong :(

and thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel better after you answered my questions. Probably I will go to the apple store and check it out, but buying a new logic board is kinda impossible for me right now :(
so *fingers crossed* hope nothing will go wrong :(

It's your choice to turn it on or not. To be very honest...the first thing the Apple guys are probably going to is turn it on (which is exactly what you could do right now).

Actually if you got a good Apple person...they may remove the bottom panel first...and look for any residual liquid or residual "gunk"...and look to see if any of the liquid spill sensors changed color.

As far as replacing the logic board. Even if you could afford to have the logic board replaced. Depending on the exact model & age computer we are talking about...many times the cost of the replacement is not worth it. Too large of a percentage of the 100% value of the computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
It's your choice to turn it on or not. To be very honest...the first thing the Apple guys are probably going to is turn it on (which is exactly what you could do right now).

Actually if you got a good Apple person...they may remove the bottom panel first...and look for any residual liquid or residual "gunk"...and look to see if any of the liquid spill sensors changed color.

As far as replacing the logic board. Even if you could afford to have the logic board replaced. Depending on the exact model & age computer we are talking about...many times the cost of the replacement is not worth it. Too large of a percentage of the 100% value of the computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

Thanks again for the helpful answer, the official apple repair in my country have a bad reputation... and we don't have Genius Bar. I always went to a not official apple repair store that have a good reviews.

I will wait for another 3 days until it dried up, and turn it on hopefully nothing will go wrong.
And later I will book an appointment to check my macbook conditions.

My macbook pro (13 inch mid 2012) is around 3 years, and I feel so salty because I just replaced the battery two weeks ago :(

And yeah I better saving up for buying a new computer :)

Thank you so much for the answers, I feel so much better because of your answers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My macbook pro (13 inch mid 2012) is around 3 years...

Yes. With a computer of this age (3-4 years)...the cost of replacing the logic board is probably borderline. The cost of the logic board replacement could be very close to the total value of the computer. In this kind of situation...the money spent on a replacement logic board could be used to either purchase a different 100% working 2012 13" MacBook Pro...or use that money to purchase a new or newer computer.

I know that you feel badly about the spill...are nervous if the computer will work or not...and buying a new computer is not possible at this time.

Hopefully everything will be well. When you do decide to turn it on...please let us know the results.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.