Is anyone using a backlit keyboard with a Mac Mini?

krs

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone is using a backlit keyboard with a Mac Mini, or better, should there be a problem doing that?
Specifically, I just received a Macally keyboard model BLSLIMKEYPROSG which I bought specifically for the back light capability.
Using it with a 2012 Mac Mini running macOS 10.14
Can't get the back light to work at all.
I spent more than 30 minutes on the phone with Macally tech support trying all sorts of key combinations - their final conclusion was that either something on macOS interferes withn the F5 and F6 keys which control the back light brightness or the keyboard is defective.
Before having the keyboard replaced, I wanted to see if anyone else is using a back lit keyboard with a Mini.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have used backlit keyboards with my iMac but haven't tried it with a recently acquired Mini. Up until about a year ago I used a backlit keyboard with every version of OS X since my 2015 iMac was released with no problems. I'm pretty sure I still had the backlit keyboard when 10.14 was released.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I have used backlit keyboards with my iMac .........
Which ones have you used?
I was looking for a Mac specific one with a number pad and 2 USB ports, but they don't seem to exist anymore.
Ended up with the Macally one which doesn't have any built-in USB ports.

I just tried the Macally one with a 2017 MacBook air in case using it with a Mini somehow prevents the back lighting from working - but still the same problem.
I will get it replaced next week unless I somehow get the back light to work.
Or get another brand/model if there is a recommendation.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081P1SRXM/?tag=macforums0e4-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777DRG27/?tag=macforums0e4-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HF1GJ5/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I am hard on keyboards. The veneer on my desk and keyboard tray is very slippery. Consequently the keyboards did not survive numerous drops onto a tile floor from desk height. All of the keys seem to have a somewhat flimsy feel to me.

I actually liked the Matias keyboard and found their battery life estimates to be pretty accurate. I had trouble with the battery charging port. I think as a result of one of the drops the port slipped out of line and the charger cable no longer fit. At the time I just couldn't justify that much on another keyboard.

I don't recall seeing recent ones with USB ports. That's not an issue for me because I have a hub with something like 20 or so ports on it.

Last edited:
OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks,
I was actually looking for a wired keyboard (which I should have mentioned)

I'm going to get this Macally keyboard replaced and hopefully it was a defective keyboard, not some incompatibility.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
I was actually looking for a wired keyboard (which I should have mentioned)

I'm going to get this Macally keyboard replaced and hopefully it was a defective keyboard, not some incompatibility.
If I'd looked up the model number before I answered I would have realized that.:oops:

That's certainly worth a try. They have a pretty good reputation AFAIK and have been around the Mac community for some time. I was pleased overall with the one I had it just didn't survive numerous falls/drops.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I worked briefly on my Mini last night.
When I leaned back in my chair and looked at the new keyboard at an angle ofabout 45 degrees, I could see short strips of lights at the bottom edge of the F- keys.
Turns out the back lights work fine, dimmable the way they should be, but the light intensity at the highest seeing is a lot lower than I expected.
The Macally tech should have asked me to lift up the bottom of the keyboard and look at it at a shallow angle,like 10 - 15 degrees to check.
So all is good with that keyboard and using it with the Mini.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never thought of that as a possibility. The ones I have used have had a little bit of latitude for the user to adjust the lighting intensity.

If I put the right model number in I checked the manual online here. In section 6 Keyboard shortcuts there seems to be a way to raise/lower the intensity of the backlighting. I'm not sure whether you have to use the fn key at the same time.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
F5 and F6 lowers and increases the brightness respectively, just like on a MacBook air etc.
Mo need to use the fn.
I do get three levels of brightness as advertised but the brightest one should be the dimmest setting and there should be two levels brighter than that.
Otherwise I like the keyboard - good for my use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.