iPod Touch and Apple Music App problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
First of all, the problem might be (is) an operator error, as in I don't understand the switch from iTunes to APPLE MUSIC.

I have an older iPod Touch with Version IOS 12.1.1.

I ONLY want to download songs that are stored on my iMac - I do NOT want to have any downloads directly from Apple Music. Any songs/albums that I've purchased from Apple Music should first be downloaded to my iMac, then transferred to the iPod by me.

There is very little music that I've actually downloaded from Apple Music. Most of my music is either from CDs I've purchased/converted, or downloaded from iTunes onto my iMac. This worked just fine prior to being forced into the Music app.

I've reformatted and reloaded the iPod several times and cannot get it to where I want, which is to ONLY have music uploaded to the iPod from my iMac. NOT DIRECTLY FROM APPLE MUSIC.

However, after reformatting the iPod I am NOT able to see the list of my music and download any desired music (playlist or albums) that is on the iMac to the iPod.

I do NOT want access to any Cloud stored music from the iPod.

But I do want to see my music, albums and playlist in order to download to my iPod. Currently I cannot do this.

Hopefully, this makes sense.

So how do I accomplish this?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi fireman0174 and thank you for your interesting post.

Firstly - a bit of clarification of the nomenclature; not as a criticism, but for clarity of understanding.

iTunes it was and with macOS Catalina, it became Music. That is the name of the app, probably in your Dock and clicking on it opens what was iTunes and is now called Music.

Why mention this? Because Apple Music is different (from Music app). It is a subscription service $9.99/month I think. This gives you access to 70 million songs held by Apple. You can download and play either online or offline, any or all of these; but you never own them. They are removed if you stop the subscription.

Once that is cleared up, I am assuming that what you want are the songs that previously resided in iTunes app - and now reside in the newly named Music app - to be downloaded to your iPod Touch.

The way to achieve this is to connect your iPod Touch via USB to your iMac. Now open Finder (NOT Music app). In Finder, look to the left sidebar. You should see the iPod Touch listed under "Locations".

Click on it. Wait till it loads. On the centre part of the Screen you should see something like this:

S1.jpg

General allows you to sync the iPod Touch with your Mac and should be self explanatory. Clicking on Music allow you to choose Artist, Albums,Genres, and Playlists.

Make your choices. when finished, Click on Sync - bottom of the screen, far right.

You can do this for the other items listed if you want - possibly not.

Job done.

Hope this helps. Do come back with further questions.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Your reply was of great value. Clear and informative.

Below is a screen snapshot of where I am after following your directions. (My name is blanked out).

How do I handle this? How and where do I turn off Cloud Music Library as the message states?

I have a funny story about a 60-year-friend's wife who is from Wales . . . . and let me know about it!

iPod.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
On the iPod touch, go to Settings > Music, then turn off Sync Library.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi again.

On your iPod Touch, Go into Settings > scroll down to Music > Tap on it > Turn Off "Sync Library"

On your Mac: Open the Music app. Now use the Keyboard shortcut - Command plus comma - this will take you into Music Preferences (the longer way is to Click on "Music" in the top menu bar and from the Dropdown, choose Preferences).

Once in Preferences, Click on General and uncheck Sync Library.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW fireman, the keyboard shortcut - Command plus comma - will take you into Preferences for all the apps on your iMac. It's a handy thing to know.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
So I've got everything set up and running as it should . . . . due to the assistance here.

Thanks to those who assisted me!

One thing I found is that quite a bit of downloaded or converted music is missing from the iMac. However, I have been religious about backing up the music onto a pair of external drives. So restoring the music to the iMac is my next activity, but all of my music, or at least 95% or more is on at least one of the drives.

Once again - thanks! (y)(y)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.