iPhpne/Spotify mystery

Reaction score
I have on my iPhone the Spotify application with over 100 hours of music. Until yesterday I listened to that music via Bluetooth over my Trex Air head phones. That has stopped working and after countless investigation I have concluded the problem is not Bluetooth or Trex Air settings but is with the iPhone application itself. Here's why I think that. When I "open" a number in Spotify on the phone it appears to be playng - the double stop button is there but the progress bar is not moving so it appears to not be palying. Any suggestions will be very appreciated

poppi

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Poppi, when you say "double stop" button I assume you mean the pause button.

If it's in play but no progress/no sound there could be two reasons; the app is unable to access your library or your internet connection/cellular data connection is not working.

If your sure your internet connection is working then you can delete the app and reload it without losing its data.
When you get the apps "jiggling" click the minus button but in the next window select the option to keep data.

If that doesn't work you may have to completely delete all and start again. Assuming you have a Spotify account your settings should be saved when you log back in.

OP
P
Reaction score
Poppi, when you say "double stop" button I assume you mean the pause button.

That is correct. I mant the pause buttpo
If it's in play but no progress/no sound there could be two reasons; the app is unable to access your library or your internet connection/cellular data connection is not working.

MI think my phone does have a live internet connection because have been sending and receiving texts all day. Why would the app be unable to access my library all of a sudden?
If your sure your internet connection is working then you can delete the app and reload it without losing its data.
When you get the apps "jiggling" click the minus button but in the next window select the option to keep data.

If that doesn't work you may have to completely delete all and start again. Assuming you have a Spotify account your settings should be saved when you log back in.
I have seen multiple comments about losing all files if I delete and reinstall the app. I am ignorant because it is my daughter who owns the Spotify app and I am a "partner" in her account

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ah, that might change things a little. I use Spotify exclusively so I have a paid subscription.
I have moved the app to a new iPhone but not deleted it before. When "restoring" to a new iPhone it's only necessary to sign in with my ID and Password to restore my Playlists and Library + Downloaded music.
I'm not sure how being a "partner" in your daughter's account would work. It may even be the cause of your problem.
Why not just open a free account in your own name?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
MI think my phone does have a live internet connection because have been sending and receiving texts all day. Why would the app be unable to access my library all of a sudden?
Sending text does not mean you have internet, you can send texts on 2G which does not provide internet, you will need 3G or better

OP
P
Reaction score
UPDATE. In the middle of the night I awoke with an inspiration. I got up turned my iPhone completely off and then back on and now Spotify is back to normal. Music plays on the phone, on my Trex Air headphones, and in the car. I have no idea how that fixed the problem but am happy for it. Thanks for your help

poppo

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose that should be the first step with every problem. We overthunk it!
Well done fixing your problem.(y)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.