iPhone won't recognize (older) airport express

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , MacBook Air (2019),MacBook Air M1
My 6S (iOS 10.3.1) won't recognize my airport express, so I can't play music over my speakers that I have the express plugged in to (through a receiver of course). It is an older express, and I needed to download some stuff to get it to work with my iMac (Utility 5.6.1), since it was not supported by my iMac iOS. But now I can't connect with my phone, while I used to be able to. Don't remember if I updated my phone before this, or if the fanageling I did to get the iMac to recognize it caused any issue.
Anyone know of any way to get my phone to recognize the express?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
(Macs do not run on iOS. You mean macOS.) Your iPhone 6s is running an older version of iOS. You should be running 11.2.5 in order to be protected against security threats. What version of macOS is your iMac running? We have a few folks here that can help but we need details and specs.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , MacBook Air (2019),MacBook Air M1
Sorry - You can probably tell that I am not tech savvy.
mac OS is High Sierra 10.13.1
I have not updated my iPhone in a while. Do you think that would help me connect? When I updated my macOS, that's what caused me to not be able to use my express anymore, until I downloaded the utility 5.6.1 launcher someone made (granted, this was a long time ago, and I had to re-do it when I went to High Sierra). I'm afraid that updating my iOS will make it more difficult to try to figure out how to connect. Of course, that's not the only reason I haven't updated (I'm lazy, too).
Hope this helps. I appreciate any advice I can get. I'd love to be able to connect from my phone and listen to music in my house instead of having to go to my computer and do all that stuff.

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As your iPhone 6S can most certainly run iOS 11.2.5, it seems to me that you should take advantage of the extra security and functions and upgrade.

Moreover, as your iMac is running macOS High Sierra - this should be updated to the latest as well i.e. 10.13.3 by the way - your iPhone and your iMac will work well together.

And that includes iTunes which will allow access to your music and allow complete backups of your iPhone.

Your call, of course, but in my view, the sooner you Upgrade your iPhone and update your iMac, the better.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is the Airport Express, set up as a separate network? Or is it connected to your home network?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.