Iphone suddenly draining down to 1% power in two hours

Reaction score
Have an iPhone 7 given to me. Today the battery drained to about 1% in two hours -- NEVER had this happen before, and no more use than usual. Noticed it yesterday as well, when using text messaging that it went from 100% to 67% in about 30 minutes or so, just texting.

Any idea what could cause this? I know it's an old phone, but the batter capacity is still 75%, and like I said this just started yesterday. I can understand using brave or safari, internet, etc, can really drain the batter quickly, but this is new. Also put it on dark mode to save more power.

Can it be that the battery is just that degraded to the point that its power just goes this fast all of a sudden -- one day it can last at least six hours or so with no use and just drain to 92 percent, but in two hours with only one phone call or text to this much power loss?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The battery is no longer viable. Assuming you want to keep it, get the battery replaced and it will function really well again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Who is "they" that won't do it? Apple? Definitely not, it's not supported. You'll need to find an after market battery replacement. Here in the US in the larger shopping malls are kiosks that do that for older phones of all kinds. Or you can try it yourself. Maybe ifixit.com will have a procedure for you to do that.

OP
S
Reaction score
I took it to best buy and they wouldn't replace the battery. Can you recommend a good replacement battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Here is a video:

and another:

On how to do it yourself. Not terribly hard, but if you do it, be careful with the screen and the cables. They are pretty fragile.

For the replacement battery, BatteriesPlus may have them: Apple iPhone 7 Battery Replacement - RIS11670

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Have an iPhone 7 given to me. Today the battery drained to about 1% in two hours -- NEVER had this happen before, and no more use than usual. Noticed it yesterday as well, when using text messaging that it went from 100% to 67% in about 30 minutes or so, just texting.

Any idea what could cause this? I know it's an old phone, but the batter capacity is still 75%, and like I said this just started yesterday. I can understand using brave or safari, internet, etc, can really drain the batter quickly, but this is new. Also put it on dark mode to save more power.

Can it be that the battery is just that degraded to the point that its power just goes this fast all of a sudden -- one day it can last at least six hours or so with no use and just drain to 92 percent, but in two hours with only one phone call or text to this much power loss?

You should do a hard reset before giving up on the battery completely. If it's the original battery, it likely is time to replace, but sometimes battery drain is from a rogue background process and a hard reset will nip that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My 7 was just like that, battery health 74%. You need a new battery or new phone. I did replace a battery in a 6 and the most difficult bit was getting the old one out because of the adhesive. I bought the battery - genuine wrapped Apple battery from ebay for under £10.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.