iPhone not charging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Suddenly my iPhone SE won’t charge. I’ve tried different leads so it must be iPhone. Is this fixable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And it might be the wall unit, not the cable or phone. So +1 for what chscag suggests. Test the battery.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It could even be a power board (if you use one) or the wall outlet itself. Best to eliminate them all.
If you have a car charger, check if it charges on that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
It might be a dead or bad battery. Download the free coconut battery app and check the battery.

Thanks; I had noticed that the battery seemed to be running down fast. I followed the link and note that it is an OS app. To clarify then, once I have downloaded it I will have to sync my iPhone with iTunes using WiFi to check the battery?

I turned my iPhone off last night with a charge reading of over 60% so hope it lights up and syncs okay.
Yesterday I booked a slot at my local Apple Store for the middle of next week.

Today, after several attempts to contact our local Apple store I finally spoke to an Apple agent and spent half an hour trying to get an answer to a simple question: 'how much would a battery replacement cost?' I wasn't at home at the time and, without a magnifying glass, was unable to read the IMEI number. Why is all this necessary when there must be a standard replacement charge.

On my way home I called in at my local Tesco supermarket and walked to the Timpson counter (for the benefit of stateside folk Timpson do shoe repairs, replacement keys and cellphone repairs). I waited while the guy behind the counter was sanding down a shoe repair.

He took one look at my iPhone, stuck a small screwdriver into the charging slot and withdrew a bunch of accumulated fluff, plugged it in and, hey presto, it immediately started to charge. He also showed me that I had some digital garbage in the form of open windows that were using up a lot of battery, pages and pages of them. All he wanted me to do next time I visit the store was to put a counter in the charity box. Oh and, by the way, their charge for replacing the battery £29.95 ($36.80).

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just attach your SE to your Mac and coconut battery should be able to see it and render a battery health check. Not necessary to sync it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I had a similar panic a copleof days ago and had forgotten that it can take several minutes for the phone to come alive, after connecting the charging cable, after being run down completely. Advice online was to do a hard reset but it didn't come to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe iMazing also has Battery info in one of the iMazing Mini sub menus. I’m not near my Mac Mini, but I will look later today.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.