iphone and volume/usage

Reaction score
Greetings

I'm using an iPhone7 and bluetoothing music to a stand alone soundbox. After a time, the volume drops considerably. Now I do understand that the WHO (and others) have a recommended listening period/volume time and Apple act on it and reduce the volume. All makes sense. but if I'm bluetoothing, clearly I am not listening on headphones, so why then the issue? And is there any way to overcome this? I can't find a way....

Any ideas?

Thanks

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Does no-one know the answer? Where are you MacWin when I need you? Or any other expert?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is of limited help, I know, but I also use BT to stream music from my iPhone 11pro and before that, my iPhone 10 to a Bose Soundock via a third party converter.

I have never had any alteration to the sound level. I am inclined to think it is something in your setup or settings.

Not helpful, but it might be worth looking at your settings on the iPhone. That is where the change in volume must be coming from.

Your friend and mine, MacInWin may have a more intelligent solution.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm using an iPhone7 and bluetoothing music to a stand alone soundbox. After a time, the volume drops considerably.

I'm thinking perhaps your iPhone 7 battery is depleting while listening, and the sound volume is reduced because of that. It wouldn't matter if you're using BT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Your friend and mine, MacInWin may have a more intelligent solution.
Heh, I've got nothing. Never seen that phenomenon on any BT device, speakers or ear buds.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Mitcherooney, to clarify things, you're not talking about the momentary reduction in sound that occurs when a text, call, or other notification comes through, are you?

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Hi Sly

No it's not like that. The volume goes down and stays down.

Hi chscag

I think that could be a possibility, although I did read that in order to protect one's hearing, the iPhone monitored the volume and duration over a set period of time and this was the reason for the sound level being reduced. Not quite sure where I read that....

Currently my phone is fully charged and it seems to be behaving as I would expect.....

I've just checked and under 'Settings Sound and Haptics Headphone safety it shows listening volume over the last six months. If one exceeds the recommended level over a seven day period, the volume is reduced.... That would explain it, except that I am not using headphones... so I don't know how to avoid the issue

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I didn't think that's what you meant. I just needed to clarify things for myself.

I've never experienced this but that's probably because I don't listen to audio/video enough using headsets to trigger the hearing protection. The most I've done is about three hours per day for at most five consecutive days. That does not seem to trigger it. Perhaps because I have the volume fairly low for most of that time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just checked and under 'Settings Sound and Haptics Headphone safety it shows listening volume over the last six months.
I checked there and I have a slider to turn the function off. I'm on a 12, running iOS 14.2.1. Is there no way on your 7 to do that? I would think it is part of iOS and not hardware related.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
I checked there and I have a slider to turn the function off. I'm on a 12, running iOS 14.2.1. Is there no way on your 7 to do that? I would think it is part of iOS and not hardware related.

Hi again

Yes, I'm on 14.2 too. Here is a picture of my relevant screen.... Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 20.02.24.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The function mentioned by Jake is likewise for an iPhone 8 running iOS 14.2. I have both of those items turned off under "Headphone Safety".

What version of iOS are you running on your iPhone 7? I can't off hand remember when Apple included options for "Headphone Safety" but I know it's been there for quite a while.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like you've been caught up in the last 6 months stats and sound is being reduced regardless of the settings.

You can change that but it means you'll need to reset your iPhone 7 with iTunes. That can be a problem if you have older apps on the phone that are no longer available for download.

You can try backing up the phone first with iTunes, do the reset, and then restore from iTunes. That may work and at the same time keep all your apps and music in place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what I see in Settings, Sounds & Haptics, Headphone Safety
screenshot.png
If I turn on Notifications, I get the six month thingy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
So, if you don't have that enabled, will it still lower the volume, but not send the "Notifications"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, it should not, if I understand the options. And as I said, when I slide the "Reduce Loud Sounds" to turn it on, I get the display Mitcherooney showed, but with nothing there, of course, as I don't let ti do anything at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.