iPhone 12 Pro Text Message, no sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
I dont hear any sound from Text message but only Vibrates while sound works with all others... what did I missed??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Presuming you meant on the new iPhone, try Settings/Sounds & Haptics and select a tone for "Text Tone" and see if that works. If it's not the iPhone, let us know what you are talking about.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Title states iPhone 12 Pro. I assume Ron is referring to his new iPhone.

I edited his title.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume Ron is referring to his new iPhone.
I never assume, Charlie, I've seen some pretty strange things on this board.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Presuming you meant on the new iPhone, try Settings/Sounds & Haptics and select a tone for "Text Tone" and see if that works. If it's not the iPhone, let us know what you are talking about.
Yes I did that and most of what I know sill very low compare to iMessage ..
Charlie, yes its a new iPhone 12 Pro... sound for message is nt working so I guest its the phone itself not working while all others works fine

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonder if I can set the volume using Volume Buttons for sound and ringer also can I set it separately using " Change with Buttons " really what does that do?? Text messages still have to sound at all but vibrations. This Change with Buttons on setting, will that either set both and separately. if separately volume button up and down will set the ringing but where can I set the volume? Hope u get what I meant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It sounds like the side switch could have been activated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The button above the volume up/down (+/-) is for ring/silent.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The button above the volume up/down (+/-) is for ring/silent.
I turn it off because its for phone ringing that I wont hear it but I want the volume to work,, DOnt think it. matters does it ? Thats why I m trying to learn what Change with Button do, I think its adjusting volume for both Ring and Alert, now if I turn Change with Button on, maybe it will separate the setting of Ring and Alert so I can keep Ring low and Alert high...

Reaction score
I turn it off because its for phone ringing that I wont hear it but I want the volume to work,, DOnt think it. matters does it ? Thats why I m trying to learn what Change with Button do, I think its adjusting volume for both Ring and Alert, now if I turn Change with Button on, maybe it will separate the setting of Ring and Alert so I can keep Ring low and Alert high...

There's supposedly a bug with the latest iOS for the iPhone 12 series. I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and since I got it before Christmas, none of my text/notifications/alerts pop-up within the display with the phone locked. I have to unlock my phone and then I notice how many emails and notifications I've already missed. It's pretty annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's supposedly a bug with the latest iOS for the iPhone 12 series. I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and since I got it before Christmas, none of my text/notifications/alerts pop-up within the display with the phone locked. I have to unlock my phone and then I notice how many emails and notifications I've already missed. It's pretty annoying!
Not sure that is a bug, but a security feature. Do you really want your texts, etc., to show up for anybody who happens to pick up your locked iPhone?

EDIT: In Settings/Notifications there is a "Show Previews" option for Always, When Unlocked, Never. I have mine set to When Unlocked. Is yours on "Always?"

Reaction score
Not sure that is a bug, but a security feature. Do you really want your texts, etc., to show up for anybody who happens to pick up your locked iPhone?

EDIT: In Settings/Notifications there is a "Show Previews" option for Always, When Unlocked, Never. I have mine set to When Unlocked. Is yours on "Always?"

Yeah, I'm talking about the brief on-screen notification if your phones sitting on a table/desk in front of you. This phone doesn't do that. Yes, Show Previews under notifications is set to Always. Worked on my 11 Pro Max, same way. It's supposedly a bug, Google it... it's an issue with the 12 series iPhones.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yeah, I'm talking about the brief on-screen notification if your phones sitting on a table/desk in front of you. This phone doesn't do that. Yes, Show Previews under notifications is set to Always. Worked on my 11 Pro Max, same way. It's supposedly a bug, Google it... it's an issue with the 12 series iPhones.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want the phone to do, my 12 Pro Max does that. Just as it has always done. I have gotten one or two texts where it did not seem to work but I changed my text notificationcation tone and things seem to be working.

Reaction score
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want the phone to do, my 12 Pro Max does that. Just as it has always done. I have gotten one or two texts where it did not seem to work but I changed my text notificationcation tone and things seem to be working.

Yeah, it doesn't do anything except Ring... all other notifications are silent/muted, but all the settings are correct within the phone, not set to Silent or DND. I'm a phone call away from calling my provider and asking for a replacement. It's either a defective device or a bug in the iOS, as the internet is stating there is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did a search. Found a handful of sites about the issue. All of them had a list of things to do to fix it. Mostly settings, sounds, etc. Have you tried calling Apple directly? You can schedule a call with them through Apple.com/Support and follow the various menus to get to where you can ask for a tech to call you. They are very responsive.

Reaction score
Did a search. Found a handful of sites about the issue. All of them had a list of things to do to fix it. Mostly settings, sounds, etc. Have you tried calling Apple directly? You can schedule a call with them through Apple.com/Support and follow the various menus to get to where you can ask for a tech to call you. They are very responsive.

That will be my next step. Thanks!

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
found what makes message alert much louder I just turn off Hearing Device/Hearing Aid Compatibility switch off, Bingo now I can hear recieving messages much louder now...Setting/Accessibility/HearingDevice/HearingAid Compatibility- switch to off..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the update. That's not a feature I've used so that never occurred to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.