iPhone 11 xs problem with money vanishing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
I think this is probably my fault but:
I put a fairly large amount of money £50 on this iPhone for telephone calls, I have phoned out (Local only) about 5 or 6 times for no more than 4 minutes a call, but was then informed that there was only 80 pence left and I would need to top up?
I need to know what I should disable in Settings to stop my iPhone from eating my money, but I am new to mobile phones so I need some guidance please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Regardless of what phone you have it connects to a cellular provider who charges you for their services. Those services usually include voice calls, messages/text, and data/internet service.

Without knowing your plan I can tell you the easiest way to stop unknown accesses by your iPhone is to turn off cellular data - Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data. You can tweak the setting if you want some Cellular Data.

Next go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location and turn off Location Services. That will shut off all apps from "phoning home" to check for all kinds of stuff. Keep in mind email will be included.

I think that will get everything but it will get cellphone calls and text messages.

If you want to also shut off text messages I would recommend doing that with your carrier but you can also go to Settings -> Messages and turn them off there too.

If I forgot anything I am sure others will chime in.

Lisa

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
I'll try what you suggested, my phone is on a pay as you go setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I assumed you were on a pay as you go. Try what I suggested and hopefully that will work.

BTW: I did try what I suggested on my iPhone and I still got calls and could make calls.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll try what you suggested, my phone is on a pay as you go setup?
Well, it appears you're certainly paying! £50 for the amount of usage you got is ridiculous.

Seriously, wouldn't it be better for you to have a regular plan with your carrier where you pay the same fee every month and are allocated a certain amount of calls and data?

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't find the settings you mentioned, maybe they are under a different name on my UK iPnone 11?

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only use the phone rarely, the five or 6 times mentioned are since I purchased the iPhone about 3 months ago? Something wrong somewhere, and I think it must be a setting or two that is eating the money?
PS: I had a samsung mobile for a few years and never had a problem, but the settings on this iPhone are different and there are many more options?

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I turned Bluetooth off as I don't use it.
Don't know what else I can disable, I've checked that I switched Mobile Data off. So I think I will put some small amount of money on the phone and see how it goes?
Thanks to all of you for your help!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iOS_11_cellular-data-usage.jpg

Depending on the version of iOS you are running, you'll see something like the following setting for Cellular.

As previously mentioned, you can disable Cellular Data to force the phone to only use WiFi for all access. You should also check the Usage section to see how much data is being used and if it's growing.

Generally speaking, a pay as you go plan is just a bad idea these days with all the apps and OS that constantly want to connect.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too have an iPhone on a pay as you go in Indonesia.
One thing I have done is turn Mobile Data off for almost everything. If I want to check emails, download apps, check Facebook, etc I make sure I do that on WiFi. Almost all your apps will have some sort of data connection for updates or access to files.
Try turning Mobile Data off for all except maybe WhatsApp or Messenger if you use them. You will quickly find out which ones you need/want to have on.

Location services is another culprit. Apps like Maps are using location services all the time. Look for Share My Location and change the preferences to While Using or Never. That way if you quit the Weather App after use it doesn't continue to follow you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.