iPad with SIM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
I have an iPad with a SIM to connect with the internet when I am away from my router. How can I make it connect up with the internet? I've gone to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options and switched on Roaming and the doesn't do it. I'm obviously doing the wrong thing. Help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a data plan with your carrier that includes your iPad?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a data plan with your carrier that includes your iPad?
I don't know what a 'data plan with your carrier' means. The SIM was supplied by the same one that supplied the SIM for my iPhone, which does connect with the internet. Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Who do you pay for your iPhone calls/texting and internet? (not talking about paying for / buying the iPhone itself) Whoever your monthly payment goes to, call them. Find out if your iPad is on the account along with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have an iPad with a SIM too. I originally had it connect to the internet through cell service. I had to pay for an extra plan with my cell phone company because the iPad will require a cellphone number assigned by your cellphone provider in order to connect through the SIM.

I gave up my cell connection for my iPad and now just let it use my iPhone's connection by using the phone as a hotspot. Cheaper and I found I was not using the iPad away from a wifi connection enough to justify the extra cost.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what a 'data plan with your carrier' means. The SIM was supplied by the same one that supplied the SIM for my iPhone, which does connect with the internet. Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me.

You can't just put a SIM card in your iPad and expect it to connect to the internet. You need some kind of a data plan provided by your carrier. In other words, you have to pay for it. Your carrier will assign a number to the iPad and some kind of a data plan that you chose. Get in touch with your carrier and find out what you need in order to use the iPad as a cellular device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Then you can use Wi-Fi on the iPad to connect to your iPhone and use the iPhone's cellular connection.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who do you pay for your iPhone calls/texting and internet? (not talking about paying for / buying the iPhone itself) Whoever your monthly payment goes to, call them. Find out if your iPad is on the account along with the iPhone.
I pay who supplied the SIM to me. The iPad is on the same account and I pay £10 every 4 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I pay who supplied the SIM to me. The iPad is on the same account and I pay £10 every 4 months.
Talk to them about the issue.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then you can use Wi-Fi on the iPad to connect to your iPhone and use the iPhone's cellular connection.
Thanks for that. It worked beautifully.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure your carrier allows "tethering" without incurring an additional charge. Most carriers will only allow a certain amount of data thru tethering before charging extra.

It may be less expensive to use your iPad direct on cellular without the iPhone tether.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.